• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cam replacement

Mitchen

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone made a detailed right up on replacing a cam? i have never done it.

and where would be a good place to get an OME replacement for an 1988 4.0

the gear on the cam is bad and it gets out of timing with the distributor and dies.

im assuming the head needs to come off.

thanks for any insight

Mitch

Why don't you just replace the Cam gear?

Edit, reread the post: Wrong gear. Honestly I have not seen a drive gear on a cam go bad. Are you sure the distributor drive gear isn't the problem (Usually made of a softer material to save the Cam)?

No, don't know of any writeups, sorry.

Last edited:
Im sure he's refering to the distributor drive gear thats part of the camshaft!

I kinda gave you a hint what parts you'd need in your other thread. The front half of the oil pan has to be loosened, the belt off, the alternator bracket off, the crank pulley unbolted and pulled off, then you can remove the timing cover(be careful with cam pin and spring), unbolt the cam, then you can slide the cam gear w/ chain off. You have to install new lifters with new cam, so you have to pull the head. Drain coolant, undo valve cover, undo intake/exhaust manifold bolts, undo headbolts(start with outtermost then to innermost), pull head off, pull out lifters. You're gonna have to get the radiator and condenser out of the way so that you can pull the cam out(hopefully the bearings are ok). Reinstall

In his other thread he said 5 and 6 had 100 PSI compression.

Back