• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gauge cluster swap

crash3400

NAXJA Forum User
anyone done a gauge cluster swap? 96 sport with the world's largest gas gauge and an idiot light instead of a temp gauge. any chance i could swap out a cluster from a pull apart or is this one of those insanely detailed swaps?

sorry, should have specified... i know about the sensor swap, except for the tach. i perused the other threads and didn't find much about the actual gauges.

i'd assume the 4.0L has a tach line, since they're all pretty much the same even though i have no needle for it? what about the other gauges? junkyard plug and play? can i even order them?

gauge swap is 1 for 1. just need to make sure to do the sensors.

Yep, pretty easy. I did the swap and before changing the sensors everything worked except the oil pressure and (temp?)... it's been a while. But the tach, voltage and low fuel light worked right away.

Its NOT a individual gauge change, its the whole cluster with ALL the gauges swapped with another cluster. Easy mod!

Whole cluster, I believe, from 91-96? I know that 96 is OBD2 but believe that the clusters are the same. 91-96 used electronic speedo, so it is an addition connector on the back of the cluster. Make sure you get a oil sender for a GAUGE vs light.

thanks guys! we got rocked by that storm so i've had other priorities. got the cluster and getting the senders in a bit. about to say so long to the worlds largest gas gauge and the idiot lights.

ok, got everything in. except i broke the original temp sender off in the friggin head. should i be getting an amp reading? i may have blown a fuse too.

Temp sensor- Mopar 1-56027012. Has white connector.

Elec grounds thru threads so easy on thread seal, better to skip skip sealer. Just light snug tight.

Connecting wire- disconnected with motor off and ignition switch on run = meter reads lowest, to left.
Jumper connector to a ground = meter reads highest, to right.
(ign off!) Connect wire to sensor!
--------------------

Glad you are ok. REALLY bad storms.

Salvage yards should be full of vehicles soon. Might be some good parts to be had of the totals.

Good Luck and take care.

Orange

Note: You can probably swap the speedometer from your existing cluster into the new cluster; this will keep the mileage units correct as per the law.

Note: You can probably swap the speedometer from your existing cluster into the new cluster; this will keep the mileage units correct as per the law.
Probably not, as the gaugeless cluster uses a different speedometer with no trip odo. I can't remember now, but I seem to recall that when I did my 95 it would not fit anyway.

I simply reset the odometer with a dental pick when I did the 95. The alternative is simply to write down the difference between the actual mileage and what's indicated for your own maintenance records. I don't think there's a problem as long as you remember ever after that the odo reading is not original, and make that disclaimer when you sell it. If in doubt you can call your local DMV. I would much rather have a trip odometer and the wrong total mileage than stick the old tripless speedo back in.

Probably not, as the gaugeless cluster uses a different speedometer with no trip odo. I can't remember now, but I seem to recall that when I did my 95 it would not fit anyway.
At least on my 1990, there's a tiny c-clip on the odometer shaft. Pull it out, and you can separate the individual 'digits' on the odometer and spin them freely by hand. Then just press them back together and insert the c-clip again, and you're good to go.

I can't remember if the odometer assembly is separable from the speedometer. I swapped out the gauge cluster in my Civic and was able to just swap the odometer assemblies between the old and new clusters, but I'm not sure if that's doable with an XJ cluster.

i swapped in my old speedo and it works fine. just have to make sure they're from the same type connection, some older modest have cable driven speedos rather than electronic.

Back