• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 MJ Comanche AX-15 swap

cbow_snow

NAXJA Forum User
Ok So far I've gotten the info I need on a motor, Im stickin with the 4.0l.
Now, my main concern is the tranny, I have the notorious BA-10 5spd and I dont want it, lol.
I want to swap it out for an AX-15, I hear nothing but good things with these transmissions.
I just want to Know, how easy is it to swap them out. Do I need to do any fab or get different mounts.
I really just want a reliable rig, The body is mint no rust, I want the drivtrain to be the same. MINT.
Any help or opinions will be a big help, thanks

Interesting. Maybe some site maintenance going on? I get no hits on anything I search for. Hmmm

i have got the 10/5 and i replaced it with another one when it went out (replacment was cheaper until i have time for ax-15) but you need tranny the crossmember and trannymount the clutch slave/master cylinders and i think you need a 94 or newer bellhousing (dont hold me to that though) and i believe you need a pilot bushing from an older cj depending on which version of ax-15 you get. the crossmember bolt holes are in the uni-rail but you have to tap them. not sure but i think i remember something about different years of ax-15's having different spline counts or soemthing

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70388 there is the thread mentioned above :lecture:

Back