• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case shifter ?

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
in my 89 renix i had a 242 t-case in it originally. i just swapped a 231 in it. my question is are there any mods i need to make to the linkages or shifter. it seems to work fine. i was mainly just curious that when i put the tcase back into 2 wheel drive i cant feel if its fully engaged. i also just installed an AA sye in the 231 and i had to cut the shift shaft that sticks out the back of the case to AA's specs. the reason im asking is because whem i used to shift modes in the 242 it would bang into gear and u would know it was engaged. the 231 with the new sye is almost too smooth. also wondering that on the 242 i had 2hi, 4part ,4full, and 4 low. do i need to change the little shifter guide to one that is for the 231 or are they the same? thanks.

NP231 runs a shift pattern of 2Hi-4Hi-N-4Lo. I think you may not be feeling it bang into gear as the patterns are different... While the case may be shifting properly, the improper shift bezel may not be providing you with the feel you're looking for.
I'm not 100% on this either, but it's my theory.

i can feel it click into where i would assume each gear would be but going into and out of 4low there is usually a slight clunk. i wasnt refering to the plastic piece that shows the gear location i was asking about the metal piece that the shifter rides in side of. i have never swapped a transfer case before so i dont know what to expect but it seems to operate properly so maybe im just being over cautious.

You can change the shift gate, if you like. But that is up to you.

i just need to know if the 242 and 231 shift gates are the same or not. if so then no need for a change. if they are different then i will get one that is for the 231.

i just need to know if the 242 and 231 shift gates are the same or not. if so then no need for a change. if they are different then i will get one that is for the 231.

The shift gates are different, but can be used on either on. I still have a 231 shift gate with my 242 in there now.

thanks. you went from 231 to 242? thats a little backwards aint it? i went from 242 to 231 because everyone told me that the 242 sucked.

:rolleyes: To each their own. I swapped in a 242 to gain Fulltime behind my 5spd. Its awesome, especially on the days when the roads are slippery from rain or snow. Its only in my DD which sees pretty much all street action so I perfer it over the 231. Plus, my 242 came with a H&T and stuff already installed.

Back