• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big bump, loud POP, steering wheel off center. What to check?

srimes

NAXJA Forum User
So I was pulling out of the driveway at work, which has a large bump and then dip at the street, and it hit it bit harder than prudent :firedevil. There was a loud pop, and it popped again 2 seconds later. We looked it over and couldn't find anything, and it rode and drove fine after that. On the commute home I noticed that the steering wheel is now off center. What should I look for? Or should I just recenter it and see if it happens again?

My steering is all stock except for a IRO trackbar.

Check *ALL* of your front end suspension components. All tie rod ends, ball joints, unit hub bearing. Everything. Something just failed.

if your steering wheel is off center than the most likely culprit is your Drag link.

start there, check the TRE's and adjustment sleeve, then move to the POS factory tie-rod and check the TRES and adjustment sleeve there, then check your track bar and track bar mount, then check your Control arms and mounts,

then if that doesn't come up with anything, sell the jeep and buy a new one :gee:

Make sure the body/frame end of the trackbar is still tight. Even if it has shifted just a hair, it will turn the wheel a little. Typically a popping sound is from a ball-type joint shifting to an un-natural position, and the ball end is a good culprit. Have someone saw the steering wheel back and forth, just a small amount, as you observe or grip the various fittings, to see a loose movement, or feel a clunk or pop. You didn't cycle a dry ball joint, did you?

When that happened to me while my daughter was driving, I didn't think too much about it. At home, I looked under and found the track bar broken near the top of the radius for clearing the diff! Got pics somewhere.

You didn't cycle a dry ball joint, did you?

What does that mean? I replaced the ball joints a few months ago.

I inspected the tie rod ends, starting at the pitman arm. I couldn't shake them by hand, but can rotate them. I got out the pry bar and they won't pull back from the static position, but I can push them in a bit, say 1/16 - 1/8. This is on all of them to varying degrees, but the one attached to the pitman is the worst. Is this bad:wierd:? How much play is ok?

How do I check the adjustment sleeves?

If I do need all new TREs (the jeep does have 191k on it), what do yall recommend in the way of brands/cheap upgrades? I'm at 1.5" on 31s, planning to go to 3".

That many miles, you're not wasting your money! I don't think shaking, prying, rotating, etc. is the proper method to check most of these joints. The tried and true way is someone sawing the wheel while you're under it. Watch the joints, grip the joints-you're gonna find something. Remember, ten joints only ten percent loose equals one really nasty joint.

I think I found it!

I was looking at the tre at the pitman arm, and there's a lot of grease there, and the grease went down the threads to just before the adjuster. The last thread or two was dry and rusty. So I think the adjuster slipped a bit. The bolts were still snug and I couldn't turn the adjuster without loosening them, so I dont' know why it jumped a thread. I adjusted it back to the grease line and it looks like the wheel is centered now (haven't driven it yet so I'm not sure), and I tightened the adjuster nuts down good.

Is it safe to run it?

I had the exact same thing happen after replacing almost all of my steering. Same loud pop, then my wheel was crooked. It also looked like the drag link adjuster jumped a round of threads. I bought a new adjuster sleeve to put on thinking maybe that was the weak point. Just weird that it could jump threads...

Back