• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tires... what should I do?

ericfx1984

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have 2 decent Wild Country 285/75/16 tires with around 40% tread and even wear (on the front)

and 2 mismatched 285/75/16 tires with uneven wear and 15% tread (on the rear)

I am running Soft 8s 16x8

so should I just get 2 tires? or 4?

I am considering getting treadwright Backbone 285/75/16 tires (just a basic mud tire) for $113 a piece

of the treadwright Guard Dog which is just like the Wrangler MTR again only $113 per tire

also looking at New maxis buckshot mudders for only $169 per tire locally

or should I look for something used?

Buy new tires with a road hazard warranty or buy treadwright's.

treadwrights then...

Backbones (similar to the older BFG M/T)? or Gaurd dogs (a clone of the Wrangler MTR)

I spend a lot of time on the road and highway, and here pretty soon I will be spending more and more time on the trail and rocks :skull2:

another option is to go to a 305/70/16 Back Bone 2 it would be wider and the same height

Last edited:
I ran the backbones(they werent called that then) on my first rig and they are LOUD but work well. Never had a traction issue with them but you had better be prepared to rotate them religiously, if not you'll be buying them again.

Just bought the 32" guard dogs for my sisters 2004 grand cherokee. Think they are actually like 265/70/17. They are an AWSOME tire. Dont have em mounted yet, but very high quality for the price.

I say sell off all your old ones and get some km2s, best tires I've owned so far. I've ran truxus mts, old style bfg mts, and now the km2s. The km2s are the best hands down and thats also after driving/riding with other guys with differnt style muds. If your looking for a AT/MT inbetween tire I highly reccomend duratracs.

You really shouldn't have mismatched tires on front and rear axles. The transfer casein 4wd won't like it, unless they're exactly all the same diameter.

Treadwrights are great. They are a bit heavy however.

You really shouldn't have mismatched tires on front and rear axles. The transfer casein 4wd won't like it, unless they're exactly all the same diameter.

Treadwrights are great. They are a bit heavy however.

yeah but if you have a open diff and they are close it's not and issue as long as one matches up front and rear

so I would be driving lots of highway and a little mud, lots of tight trails and rocks

Wrangler MT/R clones or BF Goodrich KM1 clones? both are the same dirt cheap price

Im running 265-75-16 guard dogs. Been like 6-7k miles so far and they are still new. Best highway mud tire i've owned and i've owned alot of brand name mudders. Just get em and don't look back.

ok so my wife is giving me crap...

MY rears are worn out... she wants me to buy ONLY 2 tires...

treadwrights claim that their 285/75/16 is 33.2" tall

but a normal 285/75/16 SHOULD be only 32.83" tall

but since all I have left is 40% thread... then they are more like 31.15" tall

so here is my question... since I do not have lockers and I only have part time 4wd, would I be OK (I figured I could run a new tire on the front and another new on on the back)

or

Do I need to tell the old lady... 'too Eff'ing Bad... the Jeep needs shoes' ???

Man that sucks.

You'll like them though.

Mine are still crazy quiet, and wearing well, considering they've been spun in the rocks.

Back