• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C popping fuses, orange plug/sensor melting

Heap O' Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Lately I have noticed that when I put the climate control over to A/C or defrost that it was popping fuses. Tonight I noticed that when I keep the fan on low the orange plug/sensor (pictured below) starts smoking and melting. If I kick the fan on higher it audibly pops the fuse.

100_0376.jpg

100_0378.jpg

Anyone know what the orange unit is? What it's for? Why it's MELTING? :gee:

I probably need to figure out what that is before I start troubleshooting, thanks!

Thanks!

It's a diode for the electric fan on the radiator. Make sure your fan is in good condition check the wires and replace the diode after you find the problem.

Last edited:
I had a manual override switch wired in with the aux fan relay, unhooked it and it seems to stop the burning/fuse popping.

I don't get it though, it was working for 3 days worth of wheeling' and then it just up and quit? I swapped in another spare efan I had to troubleshoot and swapped in a working override switch, no luck.

Works perfect with the factory function (A/C and defrost kick the fan on)when the switch is disconnected.

I soldered in a wire with the 12+V switched wire (that activates the relay) and ran it to a lighted switch. When I wanted the AUX fan to kick on I flipped the override switch, which started popping my 12+ supply volt fuses when hooked up.

Hope I was clear about my setup, but does anyone have any idea why this worked for a few days and then started "shorting" badly? The wire leading from the switch to the relay is in good condition, no shorts.

Auxiliary Fan Manual Override
By: Craig Houghtaling
http://www.olypen.com/craigh/auxfan.htm
------------------------
Auxiliary Fan Switch Questions
http://www.naxja.net/forum/showthread.php?p=243898327
OP post by rooneypower:
-------------------------------
Auxiliary Fan Manual Override
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195673
OP by GrimGrim:
------------------------------------------------
Aux. Electric fan switch wiring
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3347
OP by Dazz:
---------------
Post by Chad88XJ:
First off, I stopped by the AZ on the way home and got the part number: 226203 ADJ ELEC FN CONT 17.99

For some reason another number came with it: 267187. The guy I spoke with said to give you both. Don't know why...

Anyway, it's exactly the part I put on about a year ago on my 88. As you said, my 88 is on the closed system, so I just went out and compared it to my 92 with the open system so that I might be of more help.

All I did on the 88 was follow the kit directions and tap right into my white wire an inch or two from the aux fan. (It appears just as accessible on my 92). I just left the ground the way it was. I bolted the new temp gauge right there on the frame (basically right next to where the rad cap is on yours) and then ran the wires around with some nylon ties over to the firewall. Now, my 88 had a big hole in the firewall where some other wires ran through. My 92 doesn't. You might have to drill one.

Once inside the cab, the guy I talked to told me to just go into an empty slot in the fuse box. I just chose one, and it blew a fuse in a few seconds. So I chose another ("batt" which is in the same place on my 88 and my 92, and also empty on my 92) and it did just fine. I'm not sure of the voltage. I pretty much figured that if it worked, I wasn't going to ask any questions. I did install an inline 20 amp fuse which has never blown.

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow, but I'm not sure I'll have time. I'll try. But I will say that I had never done anything like this before and I pretty much figured it out straight from the wiring diagram in the directions.

Oh, and i did go ahead and leave the normal coolant temp sensor plugged in. I figured it really couldn't hurt.

Good luck,
chad
---------------------------------------------
Auto Zone
Compressor Works/Electric Fan Thermostat
Part # 733653
Alternate Part Number: 226203
Features & Benefits

TorqFlo Powertrain Cooling Accessories provide enhanced cooling performance for vehicle applications that exceed original equipment requirements. TorqFlo PT Cooling Accessories reduce thermal load providing improved performance and durability for towing, high payload, and high heat environments.
  • Broad range of product to meet any powertrain cooling need and designed for easy installation
  • Designed and manufactured in a quality certified facility
  • Backed by an industry-leading warranty program
  • Detailed installation instructions provided and 1-800 technical support available
  • Voltage: 12
  • Maximum Amperage: 25
  • Number Of Settings: Multiple
  • Setting Control: Mechanical
  • Shipping Information: Overnight and Two Day shipping are not available for PO Box, APO/FPO/DPO or US Territory addresses.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Compressor-Works-Cooling-Fan-Control/_/N-91she?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=226203&fromString=search&fromType=oem&itemIdentifier=267187_0_0_&oemPartNumber=226203

Back