• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Wiper Switch

wijeepguy716

NAXJA Forum User
How do you test to make sure the rear wiper switch is good? I tried testing it and couldn't get any continuity through either the wipe or the wash wipe. But when I hooked the switch back up, the wash wipe worked fine but the wipe doesn't work. So I believe the switch is bad, but I need to know how to test to make sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Don't know what year you have, but with my 97, you could push the button fully down (the momentary wipe/washer pump function), but it wouldn't latch to run the wiper constantly. I replaced the switch, and the pump (which was also dead), and that cured it. I didn't bother actually testing it; I just knew how it was supposed to work, and that it didn't.

If it's a '96 or down, the wiper-motor's gearbox tends to fill with water, and the pot metal parts can corrode. I've cleaned out the little gearbox on my '92 twice, then replaced it. My '96 always works. Go figure! If the gears jam, the timer for the delay will also act as an overload, and time-out the function. This may also fry. If you can determine that you do indeed have power at the rear wiper, most likely it's a bad relay or jammed up gearbox.

it was the switch, on the old one I had the wipe/wash function but not the wipe. I went to the JY and got three switches and they all work. So I am good to go. Thanks for everyones advice.

Back