• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans cooler install

boncrshr

NAXJA Forum User
My 4 point cooling system makeover is completed as of this weekend. I tow either a boat or ATV trailer every weekend and was overheating either in traffic or going down the beach. I had previously installed an aftermarket 2-row radiator with larger tubes and metal tanks. So here are the recent mods:
1) Put auxiliary A/C fan on switched ignition circuit.
2) I modified the clutch fan shroud to accept a 12" S-blade fan and shrouded the sides with sheet metal. This is also on a switched ignition circuit.
3) I bought a 11"x6" plate style trans cooler from Jegs and bought a 7" S-blade fan from Ebay. My good buddy has access to a metal brake and made me a shroud from a sign he had salvaged. The cooler is mounted to the front of the shroud, fan on back, right on top of the cooler.

We took the trans cooler completely out of the radiator loop, and mounted behind the bumper, like GoJeep did.
4) Cyberdyne digital trans temp gauge with A-pillar gauge pod.

I have not towed a trailer yet, which will be the real test, however; I have not overheated in some pretty terrible traffic with the A/C blowing full blast. The A/C seems to blow colder and unexpectedly it seems that my right calf does not bake so much on long trips. So far my operating trans temp ranges from approx. 140 on the freeway with the fan off (that area seems to have high airflow) to maximum so far of 180 when driving in stop and go in-town type driving. Here are some pics...had to post on webshots as I could not figure out how to do it here.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2376169310094325786VdQhWn

Back