• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

intake systems

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 89 xj (renix) and i was wondering about intake systems. the reason im asking is no one makes <POOPIE> for the renix stuff; bored tb's, intakes, etc. can i use a 91+ intake out of a h.o.? if i can how much is involved to doing the swap. ya i know use the search button... my problem is i couldnt find one that show the complete swap as far as the cables and linkages and such. i dont really know how all that stuff hooks up. will i need a new ecu? these might be stupid questions to some of you but im just looking for the right info. and i already know everyone will say use the 99+ intake. they arent exactly easy to find and when you do find one they are kinda expensive. i can find the 91+ intakes all day long at the j.y. not too many 99+s there. thanks for any advice or help.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only california legal intake for the renix xj was made by XJ-ARMOUR, who is now out of business iirc.

Banks Power is supposed to be working on one.. we'll see.

At the end of the day though, there is no reason to upgrade the stock intake. The stock airfilter flows more than a big stroker can breath, and the stock intake box pulls cold air from next to the drivers headlight. It is a very optimal configuration.

so a k&n is a waste of money? its carb approved. i looked at the www.strokedjeep.com site and i noticed that the 91+ can accept a bigger bore and was mainly just wondering if 91+ intake was a better way to go. plus the renix intake and airbox is just so busy on the left side of the motor compartment. not that this is a bad thing but damn working on an h.o. looks a little easier than a renix. just want to get a little more performance out of my jeep and free up some working room.

k&n style filters are designed to flow more, not filter more.... works great, on the street. the compromise is to flow more, filtered less. sports cars dont see heavy dust.

add lots of dust, and you get a motor being fed dust, for no good reason. as cal mentioned... paper filters flow plenty for even stroker motors.

this is offroading 101.....

also, the air boxes are basically the same size, just differant clamps.... but yes, the airbox is big and clunky, which is really the only reason people should use aftermarket intakes. if your gonna keep it, for ca smog, learn to pull the airbox as step #1 in many engine compartment tasks. it only needs 1 bolt, so i'll toss the other 2 in the trash.

so a k&n is a waste of money? its carb approved. i looked at the www.strokedjeep.com site and i noticed that the 91+ can accept a bigger bore and was mainly just wondering if 91+ intake was a better way to go. plus the renix intake and airbox is just so busy on the left side of the motor compartment. not that this is a bad thing but damn working on an h.o. looks a little easier than a renix. just want to get a little more performance out of my jeep and free up some working room.

The only thing K&N makes that is CARB approved for a renix XJ is a drop in element replacement, and NO ITS NOT WORTH IT! It lets dirt into your engine, and you gain no power (the stock air filter has more than enough flow).

The 91+ intake is the exact same as the renix, except it does not have the heat riser tube and does not suck cold air from the grille the same way the renix does.

The 60mmbore for the renix TB is as far as it can go, it definitely helps tho.
One of the best 100$ i have spent. Really only benefit would be 99+ intake. BUt no EGR = not legal in CALI

The 60mmbore for the renix TB is as far as it can go, it definitely helps tho.
One of the best 100$ i have spent. Really only benefit would be 99+ intake. BUt no EGR = not legal in CALI

This is why its great to have friends with tig welders.

99 intake with an egr port for the win.

i usually do pull the air box when i have to work on something. im with ya on the one bolt idea. i maybe didnt post my question correctly. i was asking about swapping the whole intake manifold not just the rubber hose and airbox. which is why i was asking about the bored throttle body. the h.o. is different than the renix and it can accept a bigger bore on it. also paper filters suck. i live on a dirt road so every month a new air filter. i was wondering about the k&n intake setup only because the are c.a.r.b. approved and they actually have a intake kit for the 91+ none for the renix. you can also get a prefilter for them. i run one on my sandrail and never get any sand in my carbs or motor. this is why i was asking about doing the whole manifold and intake swap. there are just more aftermarket and performance parts available for them. i can pick up an h.o. setup for next to nothing. im just wondering if i can swap it or not. not that you guys arent correct so in no way am i not taking your advice. i was just thinking easier mainteance, simplicity, and more availability on parts with using an h.o. setup

like i said finding a 99+ intake manifold has not been exactly easy or pocket friendly. plus i dont want to mess with the egr. i can buy a 91+ intake for 25 bucks at the jy by my house. just wanted to know if i can put the 91+intake man. on my renix and how to do it.

You can physically bolt a 91+ intake manifold to your renix head. The intake ports will not line up, they are about a quarter inch off - it wont really hurt you, but it would negate any performance gains.

You'd have to run an HO throttle body. The adapter to run a renix TPS on that throttle body is about $100 from Hesco.

You would not have an EGR, which is not CA smog legal.

If you ran a 91+ airbox, you would lose the heat riser, which is not CA smog legal.

And again, the K&N CARB executive order will not cover your renix jeep, so the K&N kit would not be legal (even though it would on a 91+) because it does not have the heat riser (and is excluded from legality for 87-90 model years).

You're talking about a lot of work to not be legal, have no gain in performance, and let a lot of dirt into your engine.

Now.. if this were not a street rig (say, green stickered and converted to a buggy) and you ran a 91+ HO head, with an HO intake, HO throttle body, and then a clean flowing intake - then you would have the potential for some power gains.. but you would need to change your cam, lifters, and valvetrain to get much out of it.

The TPS adapter from Hesco is now $145+shipping(http://www.hesco.us/shop.asp?action=details&inventoryID=45563&catId=7902). Stay away from K&N--when you see the fine dust build-up in the intake tube right after the cone, you'll realize that K&N allows more air at the cost of less filtration. I've ditched the K&N cone for an Amsoil eaau3090. Amsoil has the nano-tech filters that filter better than paper and allow more air-flow due to the smaller, more numerous holes. As long as you're using the 2686(renix) head, keep the renix intake manifold and follow JW's advice on the bored out to 60mm renix TB that Jeff Leigh at strokedjeeps.com can do for you.

wow i cant believe some of the knowledge that comes from you guys. pretty much answered my questions. does the 91 and up manifold not have an egr? just curious. is there a filter or cold air intake setup you guys recommend for a renix. like the one rustys sells. i just hate the stock air box and i hate constantly buying paper filters. the dirt in my area is just evil. it gets everywhere and shaking out the air filter isnt really my style. i just buy a new one. cal i understand that the stock setup its a good setup but the air intake being right by my driver head light the dirt just gets sucked right in when youre driving. i thought about a snorkel to get my air intake up a little bit off of the groung away from all the dirt that just gets sucked in but i dont really know how snorkels perform and if they are cali legal.

aaahhhh, but there IS a CA smog legal renix intake: http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.9945
i've ordered one, when it gets here i'm going to have all the tubing ceramic coated for anti-heatsoak purposes.
couple years ago i had my renix tb bored out to 59.75mm for 65 bucks. it *almost got into the bolt holes, it went out so far. i also removed the throttle shaft, cut it in half(just for fun/experimenting), cleaned up the edges of the shaft and put it all back together. plenty of airflow through it now. didn't want to go through all the hassle of trying to make the ho stuff work.

wow i cant believe some of the knowledge that comes from you guys. pretty much answered my questions. does the 91 and up manifold not have an egr? just curious. is there a filter or cold air intake setup you guys recommend for a renix. like the one rustys sells. i just hate the stock air box and i hate constantly buying paper filters. the dirt in my area is just evil. it gets everywhere and shaking out the air filter isnt really my style. i just buy a new one. cal i understand that the stock setup its a good setup but the air intake being right by my driver head light the dirt just gets sucked right in when youre driving. i thought about a snorkel to get my air intake up a little bit off of the groung away from all the dirt that just gets sucked in but i dont really know how snorkels perform and if they are cali legal.

The K&N kit, if you were allowed to run it, would pick up air from the exact same place. In 91+, the intake (while it looks identicle) picks up air from under the hood not behind the headlight, so cold air intake is an actual upgrade for them - where renix guys get it free.

A snorkel would help a little bit yes. They are smog legal yes.

The K&N kit, if you were allowed to run it, would pick up air from the exact same place. In 91+, the intake (while it looks identicle) picks up air from under the hood not behind the headlight, so cold air intake is an actual upgrade for them - where renix guys get it free.

A snorkel would help a little bit yes. They are smog legal yes.

My '91 and '92 both picked up air from the opening behind the headlight.

They didn't end behind the header panel, they literally stuck through that rectangular opening.

couple of years ago, I did some chassis dyno testing on my 92. I ran with the stock intake and with the bare Tb sucking air without a filter. Nearly no difference in performance. What there was could be found near the top of the RPM range and less than 5 HP.
I did remove the venturi in the inlet side of the tube, or was it the outlet of the box?

Back