• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mild rebuild questions.

GordoSmasho

Nevada Raisins
NAXJA Member
So I picked up a 1997 two door with 235k and a blown head gasket for 400 bucks. I drove it home across town and pulled the head and found some cracks. I got a jy head from a 98 and will be using that. Im looking at replacing the rod bearings, piston sleeves, and crank set. I have read a few threads but there are never any specifics on where and what to buy. So I'm looking for recommendations. Where to buy what to buy anything else I should do while it's apart. Thanks gents.

Gordon

Piston sleeves??

Gasoline engines are disposable engines, the do not carry sleeves in the cylinder,... at least none that I have ever seen or heard of.

It may be possible to do by someone who have the time and talent to bore the cylinder block and sleeve it. A good machine would bore the block to straighten it and fit larger pistons in it. If the cylinder walls are badly damaged then the block is replaced.

Piston sleeves??

Some engines are cast hollow, and the cylinder walls are basically just cylinders that are pressed into the block. This lets coolant fully surround the cylinder, and also allows the cylinder sleeves to be swapped out without junking the whole block. It's common with aluminum block engines in particular.

DS-400-210.jpg

RightHeadsPulled.jpg

The jeep 4.0 is solid block

Some engines are cast hollow, and the cylinder walls are basically just cylinders that are pressed into the block. This lets coolant fully surround the cylinder, and also allows the cylinder sleeves to be swapped out without junking the whole block. It's common with aluminum block engines in particular.

DS-400-210.jpg

RightHeadsPulled.jpg

The jeep 4.0 is solid block

I new that,I was trying to see what the OP was thinking!!

Back