• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wont stay in OD

thessee

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought my wife an 88 XJ it is a 4.0 and AW4 combo, it has a problem staying in OD, if you give it enough throttle it will stay in, but if you let off slightly it either shifts to 3rd or the converter unlocks cant really tell which, i was thinking it might be the TPS and/or the NSS what do you guys think, oh and the fluid is full and looks good, thanks

check the tps. it should be at 1 volt or lest at idle position. you will need a volt ohm metter and back probe the tps connector. nss should not be a problem.the kickdown cable could be out of adjustment

Are you sure it is not in OD? Just unlocked TC possibly? Replace brake switch, ad/or dd a TC lock-up switch. Most common is brake switch.

i had a similar problem with the 1990 XJ I bought myself 2 weeks ago, on the way home it would feel like it was slipping in and out of OD. I checked the fluid (which was good) and decided I would deal with it later. (thinking it was the TCM or a solenoid) I drove it around town with the power trans button on, then put it back into comfort mode and drove around some more. For what ever reason, It doesn't seem to have that problem anymore.
I know thats not a very scientific answer or result, just sharing my experience.

Back