• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Climate control switch disconnected now A/C blows out defrost

22spec007

NAXJA Forum User
Please Help!

Disconnected my climate control switch with all the vacum lines, and now I only have A/C coming out of defrost. Does any one know how to reset the vacum system so I can get air out of my vents??

The switch also had a metal back plate and a spring which I have no idea how its put back together.

God Bless!!

:(

with out the switch you can not change it that I am aware of. The default setting on the HVAC set up if it looses vacuum(like removing the switch) is the defrost setting.

The ducting is controlled by engine vacuum pulling on different diaphragms, which causes the air to be directed to different outlets. The default at-rest position is defrost. Without the head unit and the vacuum harness, you won't be able to control it. If you can figure out which diaphragm forces air to come out the vents, then you might be able to pass the HVAC vacuum line to that diaphragm, or rig up some kind of mechanical clamp.

Side question about this, that may relate hopefully to the OP, is there a way to re-do the vacuum lines? I have a few leaks in mine and the A/C or Heat will come on after a few minutes, then go off, then come back on, all randomly.

I know for a fact those little plastic tubes have a crack or two in them and I was wondering if something from like Home Depot could provide to be a better more durable alternative/replacement.

... is there a way to re-do the vacuum lines? I have a few leaks in mine and the A/C or Heat will come on after a few minutes, then go off, then come back on, all randomly.

I know for a fact those little plastic tubes have a crack or two in them and I was wondering if something from like Home Depot could provide to be a better more durable alternative/replacement.

Do you mean like sprinkler tubing, sure, but vacuum lines are cheap, as in inexpensive. Fittings cost a bit more. Of course you can re-do them. As far as having a "few leaks", you can't have ANY leaks if you want the system to work correctly.

I've reconnected the switch, but still no joy. Air only comes out the defrost vents. Anyway to repressurize the lines?

You can re-pressurize it by fixing and/or replacing any suspect line, making sure the reservoir and all the hoses are connected and leak free.
Then it will work right!!

:smoker:...and I re-introduce the "Stogey" test. Blow some smoke (from your Stogey) into your vacuum lines, where it comes out is where the leak is. If you find a leak, replace the line, repeat in another line.

Back