• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How hard is it and how much does it cost to replace a steering wheel?

XJ_FSJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I am looking to purchase a 1998 XJ. The only problem with it is that the steering wheel is "torn" up on the left side of the wheel. The leather is split and torn through and is ragged.

I was thinking I could either re-wrap with an aftermarket leather cover or find a replacement wheel. However, I wasn't sure how "integrated" the air bag was with the outer rim of the steering wheel.

Can the steering wheel be replaced without much hassle?

Thanks - Bob

The later models 97+ are a little more difficult than the earlier ones due to the airbag. What part of it is torn up, the wheel where you hold on or part of the center of it? If it's just the wheel then just get one of the slip on covers for it and go.

The reason to replace the steering wheel is that the rest of the interior is in excellent condition and the girl friend thinks the current steering wheel is "gross".

Second reason I wanted details on replacement is to help "talk down" their asking price. If I can say this would cost $500 to replace at the dealer but I can do it for the cost of a wheel as a "do-it-yourself" project, I really want to know if this is a "do-it-yourself" job or not?

Thanks - Bob

You might like to look at this.

GL.

That looks like I could remove the original cover and just replace it with a wheelskin. Thank you for the link! Just might take some patience. Bob

30.%20EuroTone%20Oak-Black%20on%20Jeep%20Wheel.jpg

Wheww.., me, I'd get some "Shoe Goo", or some other silicone product and paste in/down/all around any void with a wet stick for a smooth 'fill-in', then get a slip on cover. They make 'em with smooth leather, plastic/vinyl rubber with little 'grippy-knobs, etc. Got to use a bit of muscle to pull 'em on, but they work good, increase the O.D. grip. Just fine for the price, and do not slip. Only drawback is that they are 'open-ish' all around the inside of the 'wheel', and are dust/debris collectors. The more expensive modification is to do the 'fill', and then get some Italian Leather wheel skin cover, which is the time-consuming 'lace-up' variety, but gives a more professional appearance, using really thin high grade leather, and long laces. I used to like the tan covers that would age like an old pair of brown shoes, and take on a vintage look. They were like 20 bucks in the sixties, and last I looked the best were 70 bucks. Now, one can get a thicker variety, one or two toned, etc., for around 15-30 bucks, and some made in Mexico, Asia, etc., can go for under 10 bucks. (In the old days, where sports wheels were chrome sandwiched between wood, were really cool, but slippery under some conditions. Those, like their stock hard vinyl covered wheel rod, were both slippery and cold at times. Hence leather really was a safe upgrade. My '89 has a non-air bag wheel, with a hard smooth finish, but I have it covered with the first example mentioned above, and I find it safe, warm, and very grippy going through one lane mud bogs, foot thick snow and ice ruts. Although I consider my wheel easier to remove and replace, I consider such a dress up for a complete standard stock replacement steering wheel as just another daymare to contend with, and would rather accomplish other interior repairs, fixes, etc., and devote my time maintaining proper vehicular routines, fixes, enhancements, etc. All and all, my 2 cents is for a cover, and the type is up to your desire. Given your penchant to please the little woman, consider the 'fill' fix, and then lace up a premium one piece leather cover wrap. They are getting hard to find, as the usual leather lace ups are made with thick leather, often multi-pieced, multi-colored, and produced by low wage workers. Try googling around.:compwork:

You can do it yourself. It's not difficult but there is a procedure....

You really need a service manual to do it properly and safely. Here is a basic run down... Use at your own risk. Airbags can be deadly. I assume no liability for the following....

(1) Position front wheels straight ahead.
(2) Remove and isolate the negative battery
ground cable.
(3) Remove the airbag:

Removal of Airbag Module:
(a) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative
cable. If either of the airbags has not been deployed,
wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge
before further service.

(b) From the underside of the steering wheel,
remove the two screws that secure the driver side
airbag module to the steering wheel.
(c) Step outside the vehicle and work through the drivers side window. Pull the airbag module away from the steering
wheel far enough to access the two wire harness connectors
on the back of the airbag module.
(d) Disconnect the clockspring horn switch wire
harness connector from the horn switch feed wire
connector, which is located on the back of the airbag
module.
(e) The clockspring airbag wire harness connector
is a tight snap-fit into the airbag module connector
receptacle, which is located on the airbag inflator on
the back of the airbag module. Firmly grasp and pull
or gently pry on the clockspring airbag wire harness
connector to disconnect it from the airbag module.
Do not pull on the clockspring wire harness to
disengage the connector from the airbag module
connector receptacle.
(f) Remove the driver side airbag module from the
steering wheel.
(7) If the driver side airbag has been deployed, the
clockspring must be replaced.

NOTE: If equipped with cruise control, disconnect
clock spring harness from cruise switch harness on
the steering wheel.

(4) Remove the steering wheel with an appropriate
puller.
CAUTION: Ensure the puller bolts are fully engaged
into the steering wheel and not into the clockspring,
before attempting to remove the wheel. Failure
to do so may damage the steering wheel.

It sounds more complicated than it really is.

Part # is 5DR1 0TAZ (not sure what color that would be) and is $316.00 from Mopar Parts America.

Edit: Further investigation reveals the part# is for a steering wheel that is Agate(grey) with a black leather wrap.

Last edited:
You can do it yourself. It's not difficult but there is a procedure....

You really need a service manual to do it properly and safely. Here is a basic run down... Use at your own risk. Airbags can be deadly. I assume no liability for the following....

(1) Position front wheels straight ahead.
(2) Remove and isolate the negative battery
ground cable.
(3) Remove the airbag:

Removal of Airbag Module:
(a) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative
cable. If either of the airbags has not been deployed,
wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge
before further service.

(b) From the underside of the steering wheel,
remove the two screws that secure the driver side
airbag module to the steering wheel.
(c) Step outside the vehicle and work through the drivers side window. Pull the airbag module away from the steering
wheel far enough to access the two wire harness connectors
on the back of the airbag module.
(d) Disconnect the clockspring horn switch wire
harness connector from the horn switch feed wire
connector, which is located on the back of the airbag
module.
(e) The clockspring airbag wire harness connector
is a tight snap-fit into the airbag module connector
receptacle, which is located on the airbag inflator on
the back of the airbag module. Firmly grasp and pull
or gently pry on the clockspring airbag wire harness
connector to disconnect it from the airbag module.
Do not pull on the clockspring wire harness to
disengage the connector from the airbag module
connector receptacle.
(f) Remove the driver side airbag module from the
steering wheel.
(7) If the driver side airbag has been deployed, the
clockspring must be replaced.

NOTE: If equipped with cruise control, disconnect
clock spring harness from cruise switch harness on
the steering wheel.

(4) Remove the steering wheel with an appropriate
puller.
CAUTION: Ensure the puller bolts are fully engaged
into the steering wheel and not into the clockspring,
before attempting to remove the wheel. Failure
to do so may damage the steering wheel.

It sounds more complicated than it really is.

Part # is 5DR1 0TAZ (not sure what color that would be) and is $316.00 from Mopar Parts America.

Edit: Further investigation reveals the part# is for a steering wheel that is Agate(grey) with a black leather wrap.

+1

It really sounds more difficult than it is. I've done it a few times, the tricky thing is the airbag, but other than that its easy. You can usually find a wheel at JY, I see pretty decent shape ones all the time with everything but the nut removed (clock spring, airbag, etc.)

Do it, you'll be proud of yourself!

Not hard if you have the tool but I would recommend just getting a wheel cover that fits nice and snug. It will save you so much time and effort!! Plus, it's not easy setting up your cruise on an aftermarket wheel.

I've run a wheel cover on one of my XJs since I bought it in like 04, it matches the color, looks good (doesn't stick out and look like it shouldn't be there), feels good and has a bigger grip, and I don't even notice it's there. If you wanted to be real fancy you could try re-wrapping it but why bother, they usually come out bad!! Just get a good cover.

...Can the steering wheel be replaced without much hassle?

There is no "added difficulty" with airbags, everything unscrews or unbolts.

Go to the junkyard and find a suitable 1997-2001 donor. Use a rented, borrowed, or purchased steering wheel puller to remove the wheel. Should take about 10 minutes.

Following the instructions and safety precautions, remove your torn up steering wheel, swap over the switches and clock spring, and install the junkyard one. Should take about 1/2-1 hour and uses a few common hand tools.

Never pulled a steering wheel. Do I need a steering whell puller or can I use a generic pulley puller? Any other work arounds?

The Jeep steering wheel can be removed with a standard steering wheel puller. Autozone will loan one but they really are an inexpensive tool.

The biggest issue is letting the system capacitors discharge to remove ANY chance the air bag will deploy. From there, it is maybe a 5 minute job to remove the wheel. Two screws for the air bag, the bolt in the center, disconnect the wheel from the clockspring (one connection if no cruise, two connections if CC is present) and pull the wheel with the tool. Just make sure the road wheels are pointed straight ahead. This is to ensure the clockspring is centered.

Found a cheap puller from Grant at O'Riley's. $8.

Back