• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

winch reducing airflow in front of grill?

LittleDevilXJ

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone had any problems with the winch mounted right in front of the radiator and grill? Im making a winch mount for the front and am concerned about it blocking airflow causing the jeep to overheat.

my buddy has his winch mounted in front of his grill and he runs pretty hot on long hills and at slow speeds and said he never had that problem till he put the winch there hes also running dual electric fans not saying it will make you overheat but it does make a difference

No issues with an 8274 up front, and its 1/4" from the crossmember

i would reccommend giving your cooling system a once over, and wiring the stock electric with an option for manual on.

I have 2 10"electric fans that run for normal and have the stock electric fan as a aux fan on a switch. As well as a 140 amp alternator. They seem to do the job. I guess ill try it. The winch I'm putting in is a warn m8000 so its not huge. I'll try and post pics tonight of what I'm thinking about doing. I'm not trying to build a whole bumper just a simple winch/recovery plate.

I had my M8000 solenoid sticking up above the winch and blocking the center of the radiator. I had major overheating problems, most likely not caused by this, but when I replaced the radiator, fan clutch, etc., I also moved the solenoid to inside the engine compartment. It was a sleeker, low profile look and the solenoid was in great shape after many years under the hood and not exposed to the elements. I might have some pictures of it that I can dig up if you want. Just pm me.

standard.jpg

Totally in front of radiator. Stroker. Fast. Slow. Snow. 110* out.

It never gets hot under any conditions. I am positive it is not a problem. :)

Totally in front of radiator. Stroker. Fast. Slow. Snow. 110* out.

It never gets hot under any conditions. I am positive it is not a problem. :)

sweet, thats all i need to know. Hell if I have problems Ill just move it down. The mount im making isnt a piece of art.

utf-8BSU1BRzAwOTkuanBn.jpg

I forgot I have hood vents as well.

Mine is mounted high, but there are no issues. I did not notice any temperature difference once it was on, and I have a bone stock cooling system. It sounds like with upgrades already, you shouldn't have an issue.

you'll have no problems especially with those hood vents. i have an xrc8 w/ lebaron hood vents and i never have any issues w/ any overheating on the trail or highway.

is the solonoid pack really the lowest point?

so when you're front end is buried in dirt or waterfall, you have to crawl under your rig to plug the winch in if you can at all?

Back