• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bedlining the interior, whos done it?

robhurlburt

NAXJA Forum User
Well it happened, i flooded the interior. I am thinking of bedlining it, and here is my plan:

-cut drain holes in floor, and plug with wrangler drain plugs
-bedline the floor
-cut OEM carpet into individual pieces like a wrangler for easy removal

Questions:
-what roll on brand is good? I prefer the SMOOTHER texture stuff
-are there any brands that are colored? idealy i would do red like the exterior
-how much do i need?
-what brands can i get local?
-any tips/tricks/ideas/thoughts?
-cheaper the better

Anybody have any pics?

photo.jpg

P4160260.jpg

Last edited:
I used herculiner, took 1 gallon to give the whole interior 2 coats. I first removed everything, lightley sanded, then cleaned it out with simple green and let it dry out for a couple hours. After I sprayed it down I drilled 3/8 holes where the water sat, I just left them open. I think you can also get it in diffrent colors. It has held up very well over the last 3 years or so since I did it.

I did it and hated it...It makes it so much louder inside and makes it hot! I will never do it again. I would replace the carpet if you can't dry it or get the smell out.

Anyway to your question:
Herculiner roll in, I removed the seats, center console and wiring harness.

Make sure you prep the area sufficiently and clean it really well. Once the stuff starts to peel its bad from there.

They carry Herculiner at Wal-Mart, pretty decent price I would get a gallon at least, maybe more if you want to do a few coats.

I haven't flooded my interior (yet, lets hope never), but one of the previous owners of this jeep smoked like a chimney and it has that old smoker smell do it. I've been tempted to rip the carpets out of it.

Plus, I hate the tan interior and tan carpet.

Plus, I really like the vinyl floor in the pickup and not having a carpet to worry about.

You have to think, the majority of the road noise you hear is from the tires and exhaust, the rest is wind noise. Once you pull the carpet and the sound deadening material you hear everything it was keeping out. And it also helps keep the heat from the exhaust/transmission/pavement out of the Jeep too. Once you remove it you only have sheet metal between you and all of it, and as we know metal transfers heat readily.

Raptor has a good kit. You can pick the color you want too. It also comes with a spray gun. Never used it, but I heard it was killa.

Make sure you prep the area sufficiently and clean it really well. Once the stuff starts to peel its bad from there.
This is the biggest thing. Prep, prep & more prep. Simply cleaning isn't going to be enough. You really need to rough up the surface and use a tact cloth to remove the little particles.

That and be 100% sure you don't want to end up modifying or welding to your floor later on as the stuff is a pain to remove (gasoline or professional stripper does help).

I only did my foot-wells with the Rustoleum roll on stuff (cheap and it is all I needed). After a few good heat cycles it is alright but I do have a couple of bare spots that peeled from the first couple of times it got hot. No big deal to me as I mainly did it for the traction gained from the textured surface anyway, plus with a few minutes it is easy to touch up. The rest of my floor is hammered black paint and works awesome, but is slippery when wet so I wouldn't recommend it unless you use it only for storage like I do.

Most of the heat comes from the exhaust and the auto trans anyway. You can combat a lot of it with the foil type shields (DEI, Thermo-Tec, etc) and some quality exhaust wrap.

Last edited:
I did it with herculiner, used two gallons about three thick coats. Its a little noisy, but I have no headliner and no interior plastics so I'm sure that has alot to do with it. If you lay it on thick I think its about the same as carpet as far as sound deadening and insulation goes...

Ive been running no carpet for almost a year now and the noise is definately not as bad as people make it out to be.

I agree. Now the rust hole in my lower quarter on the passenger side.......that makes a lot of noise. Hope to have that patched and covered with JCR lower quarter guards very soon.

There are thermal and sound dampening roll-on liners that you can buy. Secondskinaudio.com is one of the better sites. They have stuff that is made with ceramic in it that reflects and dissapates heat. They also make liners designed to reduce noise and vibration. I have heard of people using the heat stuff on the underside and the sound dampening stuff on the inside with great results. That is what I eventually plan to do.

There are thermal and sound dampening roll-on liners that you can buy. Secondskinaudio.com is one of the better sites. They have stuff that is made with ceramic in it that reflects and dissapates heat. They also make liners designed to reduce noise and vibration. I have heard of people using the heat stuff on the underside and the sound dampening stuff on the inside with great results. That is what I eventually plan to do.

That spectrum looks awesome! I wonder if it could be applied over herculiner? I have mine herculined but would like to deden the sound some more.

Edit: I emailed them to ask if it would adhere to the herculiner.

Last edited:
I used a gallon of Herculiner and I believe an extra quart. I got 2 good coats and 3 in the cargo area. Sanded and used rust converter where needed on the whole floor, then primered, and wiped with Xylene a couple of times (had it on hand since it was needed to thin the Herculiner). Used masking tape to cover important stuff, and used toothpicks to mark nuts and screw holes. It's been 3 years I think and no problems anywhere.

Front_Primed.jpg

Herculiner_Prep_Shifter.jpg

Herculer_Applied.jpg

You need a garage or a week of nice weather to let it dry and air out. The smell is horrid.

I plan to put down some closed foam padding and smooth vinyl flooring to deal with noise and heat.

Im looking to do the same thing. Im going to use Lizard Skin spray on sound deadener, then a spray on bedliner after that. I am also going to be bedlining the belly of the heep so road noise shouldnt be too bad.

hmm...that stuff is interesting. i wonder how tuff it is.

here's my write up on JF.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f140/herculining-interior-w-drains-598861/

Would I do it again? Yes, but I would probably put some type of all weather carpet back down like you find in boats, that way I can get it wet and not have to worry. I will most likely attempt this when I bedline the Comanche.

thats a good idea, i hadn't thought of that. i wonder how hard it would be to form the carpet and keep it in place

Back