• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'87 xj cluster upgrade...???

xdroogx

NAXJA Forum User
Whats up guys I was just wondering if it was possible to change out the cluster of my 87 xj since it doesn’t have the temp gage it’s the one tht just lights up once its already over heated lol let me know if you guys have done this or is it possible / any tips?? thnx

:huh:

super easy. just get the "full guage" cluster from another xj around the same year, there was a change in connector style to the speedo end of the speedo cable somewhere around '89 i think-so watch out for that. replace the oil pressure and temp sender with guage senders instead of idiot light switches, then plug it all in and go.

my old cluster had no RPM gauge so one with the RPM gauge was put in (i didnt put it in but i looked at it and the plugs/wires had not been altered). it should just plug in and work. someone told me some different years used different size fuses for the cluster mine didnt need a bigger fuse though. also not sure but i think there are some laws regarding changing of odometers.

mine is an 88.

i just hunted around until i found a cluster that was real close to mine odometer-wise, then wrote down the actual mileage and date i changed the cluster. taped it to the inside of the glovebox.

I am not going to say how but if you are mechanically inclined the odometer is not hard to figure out. If you do it to your own jeep and no one elses and set it to what your original odometer says from what I have been told it is fine but laws are always changing.......

I am not going to say how but if you are mechanically inclined the odometer is not hard to figure out. If you do it to your own jeep and no one elses and set it to what your original odometer says from what I have been told it is fine but laws are always changing.......

yeah my motor was rebuilt and has 35k-40k on it junkyard cluster reads like 223k ha

Oh and the swap is easy. Both my 89's had the dummy lights. Just replace gauge set and add/replace the sensors you have with the ones you need.

And welcome to NAXJA

You will need 87-90 gauge cluster, as they have a mechanical speedo. Later models were electric.

ahh nice thanx guys,
i bearly got my XJ about a month ago so im in the process of building it up.
so im new to all this. thanks for your suggestions.

Back