• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

would 22 5/8" mid arm lowers be a good setup for 3-5" lift?

ericfx1984

NAXJA Forum User
would 22 5/8" mid arm lowers be a good setup for 3-5" lift? or should they be longer? I can always lengthen them if need be

he was also wanting me to make the passenger side upper simple to disconnect, so he could run 3 link only on the trail...

I am going to be using stock JK front lower control arms on my buddy's XJ Heap O' Jeep...

I figure stock is 15 3/4" so they would be 6.875" longer

he is wanting to do this for several reasons...

1. cheap
2. strong
3. has bend for wider tires
4. did I mention cheap???
5. does not want long arms because they are TOO long and "will get hung up on rocks and stuff"

so should I just leave the arms JK lowers as is, or lengthen them...

Personally, I find all of that to be a waste of time...

3-link only on the trail? Who's gunna want to take the upper link out to go ride on the trail. Just leave it off... I haven't had 2 upper links in 5 years.

22" is longer than the short arms and shorter than the long arms so of course it will work. Will if be worth the work it's going to take?... I don't think so but you're doing the work, not me.

You could make one of the uppers wristed,it would be alot easier on the trail.

You should save yourself the hassle and just buy my complete upgraded Skyjacker midarm setup. Its pretty sweet and has ~20/22" long LCA's ;)

Sure it will work, pretty well in fact. I wouldn't bother removing one upper on the trail, for what? The trail is harder on stuff than the street, build it for the trail and it's more than adequate for the street. To run one upper on the trail the mounts need to be beefed up anyway, which then wouldn't matter on the street.

What length will the uppers be? Too much difference in length will cause too much pinion angle change.

Run all four JK arms if at all possible. Should work fine. Wouldn't bother making the 2nd upper removable, see if you can convince him away from that.
Won't be quite like long arms but for a 3-5" lift it should do really well. Less hangup or band-aid appearance than DBs and cheaper / easier than long arms. Go for it.

wouldn;t it be better to make them the same length?
I'd think if there was a compelling reason to run all 4 the same length it would have come that way from the factory, in either the W X T or ZJ or the JK. I mean, I can understand compromises to packaging on one or two, but the full range?
I'd run all 4 stock arms and call it a day. Besides, you can't beat OEM joints for longevity.

so as for adjusting I was thinking this would work... I will be making a control arm slider (for the uppers and lowers) that use shims... similar to the way that the XJ lower control arms are adjusted but I might also consider using a cam bolt system...

why do you need longer arms? stock length arms flex fine at that length. make it flex too much and youll run out of coil and it will need limit straps to hold it all in place. seems like a lot of pointless work

for reference.... 3.5" RE with stock length arms.....
flex1.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

the coils barely hang on the bumps and dont fall out....

why do you need longer arms? stock length arms flex fine at that length. make it flex too much and youll run out of coil and it will need limit straps to hold it all in place. seems like a lot of pointless work.

stock control arms are what he has... I should be able to do the entire build for around $80-100 I can not get a set of control arms for that price...

and this is what he is wanting to do...

also he plans to go to 4.5-5" of lift... so trust me it will be worth it

great PICS BTW

I am around 4.5-4.75 and am running short arms (extended around 2") without drop brackets, and I have absolutely no problem with flex. It rides nice and wheels great!
eb2e4p.jpg

Back