• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Never wanted to ask this but how much can I get for my nonrunning XJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

hankthecowdog

NAXJA Forum User
98 XJ sport 157k miles 3" lift

T-case/ and maybe transmission locked up while driving, broke the rear drive shaft. Drive train is pretty messed up. Im sure I could spend about 1k and get it running again but I really dont have the cash to throw into the jeep with gas prices and a 30 minute one way commute to work. Dont get me wrong Ive loved owning this jeep for the past 3 years and really had some fun doing a good amount of trail riding.

Question is now what should I do with it and how much is it worth?

Good
4 brand new 31 inch BFgoodrich AT tires less than 4k miles, look brand new
never had any problems with the engine, fairly low miles for a jeep
interior in decent condition, door and windows in good condition,
never been in any accidents

Bad
Rear Drive shaft broken
A/C doesnt work, hole in the line somewhere
on and off electrical problems, speedometer and odometer all go down to zero randomly, crusie control doesnt work.
would have to fix tcase and prob transmission as well

thanks

You'd probably get more parting it out. It's tough to get decent money for something that isn't running because it makes it tough to see if there are other issues, like the electrical ones you mention. Your best bet is to find a Jeep lover who wants a project vehicle or someone who wants to transfer their mods into a non-rusty XJ and try to get them to give you $750 to $1000.

wouldn't you be spending more than 1k on a new car?

you could get a new(used) tranny+tcase for 400 bucks, a few hours to install it and your on your way

Im sure I could spend about 1k and get it running again but I really dont have the cash to throw into the jeep with gas prices and a 30 minute one way commute to work.
1,000 huh. And how much would you be getting a new car for plus registration and inspection. Most if not all $1,000 cars need something so there is more money into it. Buy something newer and do a $1,000 down and well now you have monthly payments due that you didn't(I assume) with the Jeep. And a 30 minute ride to work really isn't that bad

Question is now what should I do with it and how much is it worth?
My thought as you can probably tell from above is...Keep it and fix it

Good +4
(+1)4 brand new 31 inch BFgoodrich AT tires less than 4k miles, look brand new
(+2)never had any problems with the engine, fairly low miles for a jeep
(+3)interior in decent condition, door and windows in good condition,
(+4)never been in any accidents

Bad all fixable relatively easily

Rear Drive shaft broken
junk yard around 20 bucks or so or from a NAXJA member near you for a case of beer or less...

A/C doesnt work, hole in the line somewhere
what till winter to have a shop check it out it will usually be cheaper then the summer when everyone MUST have there A/C it seams like.

on and off electrical problems, speedometer and odometer all go down to zero randomly, crusie control doesnt work.
there was a tsb(technical service bulletin) about that from the dealer. The plug on the back of the gauge cluster gets loose. Call dealer and give them your vin and see if you are eligible for getting it fixed for next to nothing. Any other electrical issues you just handle one at a time as they pop up.

would have to fix tcase and prob transmission as well
again cheap from most salvage yards and maybe cheaper from a member of your local chapter of NAXJA and they might be able to host a wrench-a-thon to help you get it all done if you can not do it at your place.

thanks
your welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back