• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Metal valvecover gasket?

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
Did a search, didnt see anything although i'm sure it's been covered.

Having owned three 94's and an 88 4.0L i have never seen one of these gaskets as i just found on the 98 ZJ. I'm guessing it's the expensive one the parts monkeys are always trying to sell me? Will a cork gasket work as a replacement? Or is this a much better design?

Yeah, i realize i need to seed behind the garage. :anon:

9840Lvcg.jpg

I don't use a valve cover gasket, I use a bead of "the right stuff". I put it on the cover, wait 5 minutes, then set it on. I tighten the nuts barely finger tight, then wait a couple of hours to torque it down to just a few inch pounds. It will seal when nothing else will.

'96 and newer 4.0s used a stamped steel valve cover that has grommets in the bolt holes and comes with that composite gasket from the factory. It is beneficial to retain that cover because it helps immensely with controlling leaks, but a new one is pricey. They claim that the composite gaskets are reusable so unless it's torn or flattened, you shouldn't need a new one.

I don't use a valve cover gasket, I use a bead of "the right stuff". I put it on the cover, wait 5 minutes, then set it on. I tighten the nuts barely finger tight, then wait a couple of hours to torque it down to just a few inch pounds. It will seal when nothing else will.

Thats good stuff, but i dont see being able to get the cover back in position without disturbing the bead, the ZJ has a cowl that hangs over the back of the head and things are tight. I'll just drop the coin for the newer style gasket.

'96 and newer 4.0s used a stamped steel valve cover that has grommets in the bolt holes and comes with that composite gasket from the factory. It is beneficial to retain that cover because it helps immensely with controlling leaks, but a new one is pricey. They claim that the composite gaskets are reusable so unless it's torn or flattened, you shouldn't need a new one.

It was leaking and it looks to be on the flattened side, i'll get another. AZ has a Felpro for $33, not bad considering other prices i saw for it. Thanks for the education!

Oh, any chance you know the torque value on this?

It was definately flattened compared to the new one with a nice ridge on it. I also opted to reuse the grommets that were in the valvecover, they were taller than the new Felpro's and no doubt will better cover the inserts.

Anyone have a torque value for the valve cover bolts?

Back