• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dual Battery Underhood Setup (While Retaining Stock Air Box)?

Ice_Man

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ and I would like to add a second battery for winching/self-jump/and running accessories (while engine is off). The issue I have is that I need to retain my stock airbox because of a snorkle that was installed. My XJ came with A/C and I plan on removing most of this for an OBA setup using the stock A/C compressor, therefore this would make some room on the passangers side against the firewall for a battery. I would be going with an Optima Yellow Top. I know there isnt much room under the hood of our rigs, but I was hoping someone had some input on this. Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks. :repair:

It should fit, you may have to shuffle some items around. Weld a bracket to hold it on its side (top outboard), may need to clearance the hood a little. Use 5-90s cables, top notch stuff.

I'd post a pic but it wont let me.

Just trying to bring this post back to life because Im getting ready to start the mod. Anyone have any pics of this or suggestions. I figured someone would have run into this issue. I dont want to put the battery in the passangers or cargo area because I sleep in the back when I go camping. Thanks.

You are more than likely going to be modifying the thing, but it seems cheap enough. I think balistic and a couple others make about the same thing...? What year are you working with? How does your snorkel and where does your snorkel enter the bay?

You are more than likely going to be modifying the thing, but it seems cheap enough. I think balistic and a couple others make about the same thing...? What year are you working with? How does your snorkel and where does your snorkel enter the bay?

I have a 2000 XJ (non-abs). I will be going with the AirFlow snorkle which should go through the drivers side quarter pannel once installed (unless I have to mod it). I found this write up: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1026480

Pretty much how I think Ill go about it now. All I need is the Mean Green Battery box which is discontinued.... :cry:

From: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1078760

To answer your question:

IMG_02551.jpg

Those are group size 31's. I ended up mounting them 90 degrees from the way they're oriented in the pic though. Here's where you need to trim:

IMG_02561.jpg

And:

IMG_02571.jpg

Of course if you just want to put one back there or use smaller batteries, the amount of trimming needed will be different. And I forgot what gauge I used, but I believe it was 1/0. I've been meaning to do a full write up but there are some odds and ends I need to finish including reinforcing the fender and coming up with a hold down. Long term, I want to include an entire electrical panel with charge indicators as well as a low voltage isolator and charge controller for solar panels and on board charger/maintainer.

Haha, isnt that how it works out, the best laid plans right. That routing on XJTrailrider looks perfectly what you were explaining, might want to pm him and see if he ever did get that battery located. Like I said there are a ton of others out there that make metal batt boxes.
Duh, just reread your first post, 2000. As Shogun said 5-90 on the board here make upgraded cable kits using welding wire, Ive run them in two rigs now and they are made with care and attention, shipped fast and no bs, well worth the investment, and he does custom runs, so easy to get what you need for the second battery.

I also put a group 31 battery in the rear of my XJ since I have a snorkel. One battery doesnt really stick out much, I built a box around it all and house my compressor and inverter in it. It also is a place I mounted my fire extinguisher. Other than that, you could possibly use two odyssey batteries under the hood as they are very small....but spendy.

DSCN1339.jpg

If I didnt sleep in the back when I went camping, thats the route Id go. :thumbup:

I thought of that actually. One of the reasons I stuck them in the fender like that is because the wheel well already sticks out so the batteries are actually about flush with the wheel well, so you don't lose any sleeping room. Pics will follow but I cut apart a battery box to cover them too, just to clean things up a bit more. Also don't forget that those are group 31 batteries - stock size batteries are much smaller so they would take up even less space.

I thought of that actually. One of the reasons I stuck them in the fender like that is because the wheel well already sticks out so the batteries are actually about flush with the wheel well, so you don't lose any sleeping room. Pics will follow but I cut apart a battery box to cover them too, just to clean things up a bit more. Also don't forget that those are group 31 batteries - stock size batteries are much smaller so they would take up even less space.

Looks real nice, but I forgot to mention I have one of those XJ 8" subwoofer pods in that spot.

looking at Stumps set up, you could go with a box like his, but just above the batteries put a shelf in to hold stuf while camping, or traveling, or mount the inverter inside and have a plug inside the shelf. It would be a nice thing to have electrics out back when camping, and in reality your not loseing floor space for a mattress if that is what you are worried about.

Edit, or as I type you install a subwoofer there...

Ruffstuff, Bluetorch fab and Balistic all have boxes, that in my opinion would be easier to modify, are stronger built, and some are NAXJA sponsers. Dont forget to invest in some red letters for a few extra HP.

Back