• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No reverse/back up lights, NSS ok, please read

XJMarty

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

91, HO, 4.0, AW4 trans,

We were swapping entire harness from one body to another, now after everything is done, I realised that I have no reverse lights.

Pulled the NSS switch, cleaned, nothing changed, swapped another one, still nothing. Checked the continuity on the NSS according to haynes, all works. It is adjusted. I start only in park or neutral.

Bulbs are ok. Fuses all ok (including the 10A auto trans on the DS fender).

I cannot tell if the reverse lights worked on the previous body before we swapped the harness.

Any help out there?

What exactly the NSS switches? 12V or ground? Does it switch directly to the rear lamps? Is there some relay? Any schematics would be good.

I checked other XJ, where the reverse lights work, and I got no voltage on the A-E terminals on the NSS switch. So probably it does not switch 12A.

I am all stuck.

Did you remember to put all the wires together that are grounds in the back by the driver side tail light. Just inside by the fender well.

I have no trans fuse under the dash, only trans fuse on the PS fendewell

The ground in the rear fender is ok. I am not getting any power to the rear backup lamps. The other lamps (brake, fog, turn, park) work fine.

Back