• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cruise control went out and a/c comes threw defrost ?

xj-krawler88

NAXJA Forum User
when i bought my 96 xj the cruise dosent work and a/c only comes threw deforst along with heat and vent ? i use to have a 97 dodge ram same thing i was driveing then my a/c stoped and went threw the defrost and and cruise stoped working any ideas ?

Vacuum leak. Both the systems you mentioned rely on it to work properly.

You have a vacuum leak, both of those functions are controlled by vacuum. make sure the canister behind the passenger side of the bumper is still connected then start tracing the plastic vacuum lines looking for cracks or one that's disconnected. This will be easier with then engine idling as you will be able to hear it hissing where it's sucking in air.

Yep, dittos to the info already posted. Got a similar problem with my '99 XJ, albeit intermittant at this point. Just waiting for better weather & some much needed time off work to go digging for that elusive leak...
:repair:

The most common places for vacuum line leaks that affect cruise control and A/C climate dampers would be the line that is beneath the battery tray (usually caused by battery acid eating the line), the vacuum accumulator ball that is attached to the factory bumper on the passenger side (can be crack in accumulator ball or the rubber fitting) and the line that connects to the intake manifold (crack in rubber fitting).

:05of5::exclamati
CharlesS -- :yelclap: party1: :woohoo: :party:

Please excuse the excess jubilation...
Just that I really didn't have a clue where to start; and I had NOT thought about looking under the battery tray. My humble gratitude for your help, sir!

Back