• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender flares - removing oxidized layer?

jonnycat

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, the fender flares on my '98 XJ are supposed to be black, buy they are mostly grey now. If I rub them, there is black underneath the oxidized layer.

Any idea on what the best approach would be to restore them?

I tried armor-all, but it had no effect. I could use a polishing compound (maybe just wax?) but I'm hoping there is some kind of anti-oxidation chemical that wipes them back to new like.

Any suggestions appreciated, and thanks.

Forever Black Bumper & Trim or you can paint them.

Last edited:
There is some product - it may be the Forever Black mentioned above - that will restore clouded plastic. I had some long ago and it worked pretty well, but I can't recall what it was. A good auto parts store should have something.

Paint works too. You can buy semi-gloss rattle can paint made specifically for car trim. Barbecue black works pretty well too. But if you just put Armor-All on your flares you'll have to do a very thorough job of cleaning them before you paint.

at the suggestion of someone somewhere(can't recall now) with a wrangler, i used wd40 and a clean soft towel to wipe down all the black plastic on my '96's chalky looking flares and bumper end caps. it worked unbelievably well. i'd reapply every 6 months or so, they turned out really good. it really seemed to "soak in" to the plastic.

Heat gun man.... Get up within a couple inches at first on the low setting (higher if needed) and run the gun slowly along the plastic. Worked on my XJ ands my TJ. Just dont touch the heat gun directly to the flares (obviously). Got the info from some dirtbike website long ago

I then used Back to Black after to shine it up and protect it

I got some stuff from a body work supply store. Was like liquid shoe polish bottle with a dobber on the end. Did the flares, door handles, mirrors, black trim on rack about 3 years ago just getting so it needs it again. They also sell a wax remover in the same type bottle. When you get wax on the black trim and it turns white. Just wipe it on the wax and its gone.

at the suggestion of someone somewhere(can't recall now) with a wrangler, i used wd40 and a clean soft towel to wipe down all the black plastic on my '96's chalky looking flares and bumper end caps. it worked unbelievably well. i'd reapply every 6 months or so, they turned out really good. it really seemed to "soak in" to the plastic.
I myself am a big fan of the WD40, I use it on all of my exterior metal parts included. Try not to use it on the interior stuff though, the smell can be kind of strong.

Back