• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help: Looking for exhaust advice: Stainless ??

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
After the old 89 XJ was sitting for a few months while I slowly fixed some stuff, it's rumbling a bit loud all of a sudden and I think it may be time to think about a new exhaust again. Would it be crazy to think about going to stainless? Is it even an option and if it is, is it too expensive? I've replaced the exhaust on the old girl several time now from, and occasionally including, the manifold to the tail pipe and several mufflers in-between. I'd like to never have to do it again.

My Cat is also looking a bit grim although their doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it.

Thanks for any advice.

Exhausts should be SS. Borla makes a nice SS cat-back. I believe gibson also makes an SS cat-back. You could piece together a magnaflow ss cat($50-60), ss muffler($50), and google or ebay mandrel bending solution's SS tailpipe($100).

I must have dinged and flattened half a dozen exhausts over the years. I just replace the Cat back every 4-5 years, unless it gets flattened first. You can buy a few Walker for the price of a Borla. I've gotten pretty good at it over the years, last time it took a little over an hour and I'm so old I creak when I move. An angle grinder is your friend.

Definitely go all stainless it will last much longer after two years I have zero wear on mine. I spent about $450 on stainless pipe and a muffler but it was custom built for free.

Back