• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

airsoft balancing question......again

DeftwillP

NAXJA Forum User
Sooooo....pulling the trigger on some 35 km2's tomorrow at Discount Tire. Was going to go with the airsoft bead balancing since I tend to throw a weight everytime I go wheeling. I thinking about 2 oz. per tire of just the regular plastic beads.

When I called discount today to verify that the tires were in, I asked about the airsoft balancing. They guy says they don't have the equipment to do that. Ummmm, don't they just throw them in and set the bead. The airsoft pellets then serve to keep it balanced? I tried to correct him and then he told me that they would have to pop the bead everytime to balance them. Uh, what?

Sorry, I know the bead discussion has been covered but I didn't ready anything specific about the process for getting them put in.

You just throw them im the tire they wont fit thru the vavle. I would use more then 2 ounces though. I put 8oz in each of my 33s and they balance perferct at all speeds.
I mounted them my self and put them in before seating the beads, no problem.

They might think they will have to add x amount of bbs after putting in on the balancer. By the way I put a tire on the balancer and it comes out unbalanced with bbs, but driving it with no vibes proves they work

Edit: I didn't use air soft bbs, i used metal ones but still the same concept.

Last edited:
Yeah, they just put one bead on the wheel, dump them in, and then set the second bead. Helps if you have them pre-measured in baggies. He must not understand what you're talking about. The only hitch is that some places (especially that offer tire warranties) are hesitant to let you leave without having your tires "balanced" on the machine. That being said, I got Costco to do it for me after they got the OK from the tire shop manager. I've been running them in my 33x10.5 KM2's for a year now. I notice a slight hop at 40-42MPH but anything slower or faster than that runs nice and smooth.

I used regular BB's to balance some 40" super swampers on an old Dodge truck I had.

I put 16 oz in each tire, worked great...nice ride once you are moving. And yes, you could hear them fall and hit the rims when you stopped....made for some funny looks at a stoplight.

Remember, since the weight is 2x as far from the rim center, you need 1/2 the weight.

The reason they show unblanced on a balance machine is you need the flat spot where the tire hits to road to move the BB's around. Without that, they will stay in the same spot and make the problem worse.

I would have them put them on the balance machine, and see how much total weight each tire needs, but don't put any weights on. Then put 1/2 that amount in the tire, and put them on the truck and go.

Last edited:
Back