• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding on a new muffler

Chowderr

NAXJA Forum User
When I bought my xj it did not come with a muffler on it so I just bought a cheap CherryBomb glasspack. I am a very amateur welder and I was wondering if I could weld this on myself. I have a crappy Chicago Electric (Harbor Freight) 90 amp MIG with .030 flux core. I am mostly worried about it leaking and poor welding causing some sort of distortion on the new muffler.

Get some scrap exhaust pipe and practice until you can produce a weld you're happy with, then go for it. I wouldn't just jump right in and hope for good results on your first try.

the pipe was cut off just after the cat

the pipe was cut off just after the cat

that is good, the cat has pretty decent metal(well fine does)

get a muffler with a thick metal (FLOWMASTER) I really like my flowmaster 40

just weld the muffler direct to the CAT and put a turn own on that, then weld a rod to the mount right before the tube...

I could post pics if you like

Take your time, use a lower speed on your wire, and lower the voltage. When I weld thinner metals with my hobart on flux, i'll just tack, and tack, and tack, and tack, since any concentration on the metal for more than a few seconds will cause a blow through. Give the metal time to cool also, as posted above get some scraps and practice.

In NC i know you cannot pass inspection with just a turndown after the muffler, it needs to be out near the rear bumper. Besides if the exhaust is routed out the back it really decreases the noise inside the cabin, especially with just a glasspack.

Good prep, patience, and exstensive cleanup are necissary with flux-core, but it works! Good luck!

thanks yall. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Back