• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ rear brakes?

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I've been looking at the WJ knuckle swap for a turdy and got to thinking about needing larger wheels. At that point the 5x4.5 pattern doesn't matter, so... could just keep the WJ hub bearings instead of buying the spacer and a set of '00-'01 XJ hubs. This is where we get ONOZ TEH REAR WILL BE DIFFRENT however I am also considering a disc brake swap on a rear D44 so... what about just swapping on the WJ rear brakes too?

First problem is the stud pattern, but that's actually pretty direct: either drill and stud the existing shafts, or cut the WJ D44A shafts to size, or buy some custom shafts with the 5x5 pattern.

The real questions are with bolting on the WJ brake parts, namely that I've no idea about any of it and searches have turned up nada. Anybody ever looked into it? I assume I would have to change the axle flange, and I might need to space the axle from the flange correctly, but I don't know. I assume somebody with a WJ has swapped in an XJ D44 for their stock D44A and went through all of this to get it working but I can't find anything

The WJ D44a bearing retainer setup is completely different from the other kinds. It's fully square with small a edge, instead of rectangular with a lip. It might be hard to get all the brake parts mounted without changing the axle flange. 5012827AA bearing retainer plate

152017-md.jpg

I still don't know about spacing issues either

Back