• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle seal for Alloy USA

RangerRick

NAXJA Forum User
My old seal is leaking and on inspection the seal surface is totally smooth from wear after 2 years and 8.000 miles. After installing a stock replacement seal that USA says to use, the axle has to be driven in with a rubber mallet. It's vary hard to turn by hand. USA's seal surface is a little over 1 5/16 while a stock axle is 1 3/16 or a little less.

I can not find a seal that would be the proper size fit for this USA axle seal surface. Any one else had these problem? Any one know of a solution?

It's a front dana 30 inner seal. The stock seal has an axle guide on it. Alloy USA was bought by another company 1 1/2 years ago and says to use the stock seal. I've talked to 2 top seal and bearing guys in Longmont and 1 in Denver they both refuted me to. They all say the stock seal is just too small for the axle surface of the USA.

I've found only one seal that has near the right dimensions (skf 13092)but it has no axle guide. This is a problem with the longer right side axle. I could put the seal in then slip the axle in lifting it through the seal part way without the carrier in. Then put the carrier/locker in before sliding the axle the rest of the way in. But pulling the axle at a later date for whatever reason would be a pain.

I think I'm going to try to install the old warren out seal with the guide, then fit the new seal behind it as I think there may be enough room to seat it.

You may actually be able to use the front Dana 44 inner axle seals...I have 2 of them new from a dana 44 set I bought and never used them-I could either measure them and/or send them to you-just pay shipping.They have the guide on them-do not know what they measure at this time-but searching may get the specs you need/want.Just let me know.Maybe on second thought you jusrt may need rubicon 44 front axle seals-i cant remember if the ones i have were for a ford i think they are-so tube size is different.I will measure them when i get home for ya and let you know.

My old seal is leaking and on inspection the seal surface is totally smooth from wear after 2 years and 8.000 miles. After installing a stock replacement seal that USA says to use, the axle has to be driven in with a rubber mallet. It's vary hard to turn by hand. USA's seal surface is a little over 1 5/16 while a stock axle is 1 3/16 or a little less.

I can not find a seal that would be the proper size fit for this USA axle seal surface. Any one else had these problem? Any one know of a solution?

Well, what did you have in there before for a seal?

How does the surface measure in relation to a Stock Axle? Are they different or the same? This will tell you if the stock D30 Axle seal will work.

You do know that you must grease the seal before installing the shafts, right?

BTW: When I did my inner seals a while back, NAPA had the hardest time getting me the right seal. They finally had to look it up in an old SPICER book, and it was listed wrong for the year of Cherokee. Seems someone puts a mistake in the DB, and it goes to all the parts houses.

Back