• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modifying a JCR stage 1 rear bumper

ctomas_30

NAXJA Forum User
I am a big fan of JCR's work, but have some of my own ideas for building a custom tire carrier for my 2000 XJ. I'm looking for a tire carrier that offsets the tire to the driver's side, but also raises it up and angles it in toward the hatch. I know that there are some bumper/tire carriers out there that already offer this option, or one similar, but I really like the corner design and overall look of JCR's bumpers and would like to take his stage 1 and, if possible, add my own tire carrier.

So my question is, for those who either have a stage 1 rear bumper or know from experience, can that specific bumper be modified to carry a custom tire carrier? Is the thickness of the bumper walls sufficient enough to take the weight of an added tire carrier and tire? Also, is there enough room on top of the bumper to mount a spindle and latch system?

JCR's website lists the Stage 1 as being "[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]constructed from 5"x2"x3/16" high strength tubing[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]" and "[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The ends are form fit 1/4" thick steel[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]"

Thanks

Why would you spend ALL that cash and then spend a bunch more? Don't get me wrong, I like JCR's stuff, but why not just build your own?
Or, there is a member over at cherokeeforum that makes custom bumpers on the cheaper side. Take a look at his, and ask if he can make you one.

Honestly, because I don't have enough time to spend building a whole bumper. If I did I would definitely go that route and build it myself, but at the moment I just don't see it as an option. I know that JCR is a respected guy and figure if I start with a solid bumper that, in my opinion, also looks good, like his stage 1, I could at least add my own tire carrier.

Honestly, because I don't have enough time to spend building a whole bumper. If I did I would definitely go that route and build it myself, but at the moment I just don't see it as an option. I know that JCR is a respected guy and figure if I start with a solid bumper that, in my opinion, also looks good, like his stage 1, I could at least add my own tire carrier.

What ever you do make sure it has a strong spindle. My stage 3 JCR has the billett spindle and its still smooth as silk almost a year.

Back