• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Amp mounting!

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
Somebody stole my old stereo so I needed to replace it.Then I decided to add an amp and sub-woofer.Decided to stick the amp under the back seat and try out a "direct-fit" woofer enclosure,I think it came out great.The hinged amp mount really makes wiring/adjusting a snap,its a 6"x12" piece of aluminum mounted with a piano hinge!
P1080139.jpg

P1080140.jpg

P1080141.jpg

P1080138.jpg

Awesome idea with the amp mounting. I like it. Can it still dissipate heat well enough mounted upside down?

Well theres the factory mounting space between the amp and the aluminum plate and there is about an 1.5" space between the amp body and the carpeted floor,Ive seen no major heating at all(its only a 250watt amp and 8" woofer).

Amps are designed to mount with the face up, which is why they put the mounting feet on only one side and try to make the covers look nice. Heat rises and most of the electronics are mounted to the finned aluminum cover to help transfer the heat away from them.

Probably a non-issue for a smaller amp pushing a single 8" sub, but I melted the carpeting under the seat and cooked a 1000w hifonics amp mounted in the same spot driving a pair of 12s. there is no airflow under there to keep them cool.

I have mine mounted in the same place, and cooling is definetly a problem. I ended up slotting the floor to vent air under the seat on the highway.

by slotting i mean utilizing the body cracks...

I would NOT advise running the amp upside down, under the back seat. You may get away with one sin or the other, but both is probably going to be too much.

I'm figuring on placing my amp there. Just a 400w amp but I'm sure it will get warm. Or just mount it to the back of the rear seat to keep it open and able to breathe. Love the hinge idea.

If you're going to put it under the seat make sure it's one with an actual cooling fan inside and not just passive (ambient airflow) cooling. unless you get it cheap and DGAF about it burning out ;)

It must be nice to be able to fit the amp under there. I have a 1,000 watt and a 850 watt, both kickers, mounted underneath my rear cargo storage shelf. Also have for now just two 6X9's mounted to the front doors and two 6 1/2" in the sealing in the rear. Planning on another two 6X9" in the rear. Also have a 10" Kicker Sub.

Oh ya this thing hits and sound even better. And you don't have to listen to any other crap from other rigs. Just crank it up and you cant even talk nor yell.

I've got a 2500w amp under the driver-side of the backseat and it has absolutely no over-heating issues. It gets worked like a sumbitch too, so it's had plenty of opportunities.

I'm with 98XJLongBuild - it's nice not having to listen to other peoples' crap music. It's also a lot of fun when they try to out-bass me, and then you blow them out of the water.

Under the back seat go pick up 2 computer fans 12 volt and tie them in to amp power line. Have one push air and one pull it(cut holes for them in the metal flat pice under backseat in cab) if overheatings a problem it wont be anymore.
This worked well for 2 1000watt kinwoods and my 4 12s at one point in time.

I've got a 2500w amp under the driver-side of the backseat and it has absolutely no over-heating issues. It gets worked like a sumbitch too, so it's had plenty of opportunities.

I'm with 98XJLongBuild - it's nice not having to listen to other peoples' crap music. It's also a lot of fun when they try to out-bass me, and then you blow them out of the water.

Oh Ya and I forgot to menchion the Pioneer 7" pop-out dvd player deck. Have Ipod, XM, CD and I can also hook up any headphone jack up easily to play Pandora off my phone or off of other MP3 devices.

You guys grounding to the seat belt mounts? I hooked my sub up today and since i have a very small amp i put it there also. I can't seem to get a good ground and I can't find my torx bits! Either that or the brand new amp i bought is toast! :(

98XJLongBuild said:
Oh Ya and I forgot to menchion the Pioneer 7" pop-out dvd player deck. Have Ipod, XM, CD and I can also hook up any headphone jack up easily to play Pandora off my phone or off of other MP3 devices.
I kicked around the idea of a DVD/Navi, but the first-gen have a lip off the dash pad that extends about 2.5" over the stereo (I'm not cutting, fiberglassing, etc to fit a screen. It's not some fag ricer). That and it's a Jeep that goes four-wheeling every weekend. Didn't see the point in dumping money on a DVD/Navi setup when my $120 Pioneer does the job, plus has all the same capabilities as your setup. 'Cept mine charges my Iphone while it's hooked up through the USB and my HD radio is free ;)

Getting ready to swap components around between my vehicles as well. Alpine (IIRC) makes an amp that'll play directly from an MP3 device, thus eliminating the head-unit entirely. Throw that in the Jeep, and then the Pioneer and the Kicker amp in the SBC-10 and call it good.

You guys grounding to the seat belt mounts? I hooked my sub up today and since i have a very small amp i put it there also. I can't seem to get a good ground and I can't find my torx bits! Either that or the brand new amp i bought is toast! :(
Actually, I grounded out to the factory jack tie-down where the knob bolts down the clamp for the jack. Sanded it down to bare-metal, found a bolt with a matching thread pitch, and good to go :)

I had ground. My remote wire coming off the CD player is bad apparently. Hooked it to the power antenna wire and its good to go.

I have had a little amp under my seat for the last 7 years and have never had a problem with it overheating!

Back