• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tracked down my "ticking"

doubleOHxj

NAXJA Forum User
I thought my valvetrain was having issues here lately, while in the cabin I can hear a "ticking" from time to time. It didn't get louder or keep up with RPM when I rev'd the motor which was confusing me also. BTW, its a 2000 4.0/aw4 with 164k. So I went crazy looking for it yesterday and I found it! its on the fire wall next to the accumulator, I think 2 vacuum lines connect to it but I'm not sure what to call it. Should I replace it or will it just keep ticking? I'm just glad its not my valves.

That's the evap canister purge solenoid clicking--completely normal(new one would click too).

I didn't suggest that in the first post in your initial thread or anything.

Could be the evap purge valve. Its on the passenger side of the fire wall. Should have a green cap on it. You might be able to hear it if you or close enough. If you put your hand on it you will definitely feel it. Its normal to do that.

Well I feel like an idiot. It was drivin me insane and it took my hood flying open(while driving yesterday) to actually find it. But Talyn in my own defense, I checked it before and it wasn't clicking. It seems to come and go.

It does come and go as it doesn't run all the time. You can try to bend the bracket a bit and make sure the bushings are good to reduce the noise transmitted. Its a poor design and they have should have done something more to isolate it. Or you could just get a Comp Cam, you won't notice it over the sounds from the camshaft,

Back