• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

intermittent wipers

Ewenm

NAXJA Forum User
hi can anyone help me, my '94 XJ cherokee windscreen wipers work on slow or fast speed but not on intermittent.

is the control wand needing replacement or is there some other possibility

Thanks

it is not the control wand that needs replacing.

on US XJs at least, there is a black control box under the dash that produces the delay.
just to the left of the column, the box is velcroed to the ledge on the dash, it has like 8 wires going in and 8 going out. that module probably went bad.

The intermittent control module is located right between your knees, velcro'd to the steering column. Reach down, pull it out. If you have a junk yard about you can likely pick one up out of any XJ, MJ, WJ etc. If not, hit up e-bay. Here about $15.

The other options are the "wand" and/or the wiper motor connections.

Ive had jeeps come in that didn't have intermittent wipers, and that box was missing. I don't know why but it was. Swap it with a buddies or junkyard unit and see if that helps. If it's your multi-function switch (wand), then it's a lot more pricey and you have to tear apart the steering column to replace it.

Had this problem on mine. Got a junk yard box and exact same issue. I suppose it's possible that one was bad, too but it seems unlikely. Here's the thing. After a while the intermittant feature will start to work. It may take 10 of 15 minutes and it has to be kept on in order to ever start working. Seems before sometimes I could jiggle the wand and get it to work. My signal wand has developed an annoying buzz anyway. So here's my question, just how hard is it to change just the wand and what would be the procedure?

Back