• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P/S Quick Connect

CUengineer

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Does anyone know if you can buy just the quick connect fittings on the power steering hoses without buying a new hose? Maybe those of you who have many more years of experience will advise I replace hoses when replacing the gear box.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by quick connect fittings. The fittings on the PS hoses are similar to a flare fitting (think a giant brake line), except that instead of a flare, the tubing has an upset ridge with an O-ring for sealing. You can get the O-rings, as far as I know, but that's the only replaceable part. If the lines are rusty, they will seize to the fittings, and twist when you turn the fittings. New hoses aren't terribly expensive, and I would not try to fuss with fabricating your own if you need a new one. Clearances are pretty tight, especially where the lower radiator hose crosses the PS lines, so they have to be a good fit.

If the hoses are good, and if the fittings turn on the lines when you remove them, I'd just reuse them. Make sure the O-rings are good, and replace if in doubt. If the fittings are rusted on so badly that you twist the tubing, you'll have to replace them. You might get away with the return line even if it's a bit tweaked, but the high pressure line had better be good.

I've had a high pressure line rust through. Not worth the stranding and emergency expense if you're in doubt about condition.

Great point. On a Jeep where everything is 20 years old, if I don't replace it now, I'll be forced to do it on the trail. Thanks Matthew for all of the details.

Back