• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 lockup question

heavyequipment

NAXJA Forum User
What conditions are required for the lockup clutch to engage? We have verified that the lockup clutch works by installing a switch to energize the lockup clutch solenoid. We just need to know what sensors are referenced and what they must indicate to get lockup?

Odd ball thing I found when mine on my 89 didn't work. Take a look at the brake switch area. The lock up is set up that when you hit the brakes it unlocks. My switch wasn't up against the bracket enough to push the plunger in all the way but enough to let the brake lights turn off. The plunger goes out when the brakes are applied and creates a short that disengages the lock-up. So if not back in enough it will sense that the brakes are on and will not lock up. Depending on year it may work off of your brake switch(like mine) or have another switch in same spot that does the same action. Oh and you have to be over a specific mph range for it to work to.

x3 on brake switch.
For later models I believe the PCM helps determine it. I just run a manual lockup switch.

No temp gauge on this one, but it acts the same cold and hot.
Sorry I was asking Johnnie Walker, I was just curious to see how temps change under lockup.
What year is your jeep? Don't forget to leave us that kind of Information in the First post.
Ive had two jeeps where I thought the TCC was going out, but both times it was my brake switch. Both of those were renix era xjs. (87-90)

Do you run a tranny temp gauge as well?
I probably should/will, but not at this time. I know that when the TC is locked up the RPM's drop by around 300-350, and I get better mileage highway with it locked up.
Mine is a 89 Renix stock 4.0L/AW4

The original question is about an '87 Cherokee Limited. It has an engine from a 98 Cherokee, but still uses the Renix engine control system. The wiring diagrams seem to be the same as my '89 and '90 Cherokees, but the connectors are different at the firewall.

The reason the connectors are different is because its a different harness. They upgraded the harness in 88 I believe. Also, FWIW, the pcm changed throughout the years if you swap in a 90 pcm it should gain a little bit of power.

Back