• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

36 IROK's with stock gears?

BlackSunshine

NAXJA Forum User
I'm DD'ing a 96 stocker(literally no off road use, besides Connecticut potholes!), 4.0 pulls strong, Chrysler 8.25 rear. I want to try and run a 6.5" Rough Country lift, 36" or 37" Irok Radials w/Bushwhackers, but I can't afford a ring and pinion for some time(when I do I'll probly do the rear, and then the front diff later). 1st gear feels really low/short and I'm easy on transmissions, but thats a lot of tire to add too. Let me know if you think I can get away with it w/o blowing up the diff, thanks.

I honestly wouldn't even think about it.

If you are going to be DD's it, Iroks are NOT the tire you should be thinking about.

drove arounf for 1 day with stock gears and 35's jeep was stupidly slow and sluggish, you will kill your trans

36's Iroks on a 6.5" lifted DD with stock gears is going to ride like a new BMW, get better gas milage then stock, boost horse power to like V10 status, make you lose weight while gaining muscle, grow a bigger penis and women's clothes will be torn off when you drive by.

Thanks for all the responses, especially this late. It's an honest question, I had an 86 'yota on 33's that I'm pretty sure had the stock gearing(and those left the factory with like 90 HP). I already have the BW Flares, sounds like 33's with a mild lift would be a smarter bet, although 36-37 would look sick!! Maybe someday when the finances look better(like tow vehicle better...)

With 36's or 37's (or even 35's for that matter), gears, while a big concern, are far from your only concern. Big tires bring big problems on a stock setup in so many other ways. Stick with 33's and you'll be much happier. Do some research and start saving some money. When it's time for your next set of new tires, maybe you'll have enough saved up to do it right.

with gas prices and all... I wouldn't go any bigger than 32's with a DD XJ on stock gears. I live in CT also and with the hills+ gas prices it's just not a logical equation.

with gas prices and all... I wouldn't go any bigger than 32's with a DD XJ on stock gears. I live in CT also and with the hills+ gas prices it's just not a logical equation.

This. I went from 31's to 32's on stock gearing over this past weekend. I can tell a difference between the two, mine will be regeared within the next month I hope so I am not too worried about it. 32's are really pushing it. 36's are just way too much! Regear before you go that big!

i gotzzz RE 5.5 lift on 33s stock gears i do have a inline 6 headers and straight pipe back and intake and thrttle body spacer and i push them 33s preaty good the jeep i had b4 my xj was a 97 tj 4banger 5spd and 4.88 gears i had 36" iroks i could fart around town just fine but forget about the highway i had to scream it to do 70mph

i gotzzz RE 5.5 lift on 33s stock gears i do have a inline 6 headers and straight pipe back and intake and thrttle body spacer and i push them 33s preaty good the jeep i had b4 my xj was a 97 tj 4banger 5spd and 4.88 gears i had 36" iroks i could fart around town just fine but forget about the highway i had to scream it to do 70mph

Do you actually talk like this?

Do you actually talk like this?

I think people are starting to adopt texting as an official written language...

So I took your advice and got some 36" IROKs. Looking forward to the better gas mileage and women's clothes being torn off. That should be fun...

LOL 36'S ON STOCK GEARS!!!!!

DO IT. Drive it that way for a month.

And then post your recorded mpg, how many girls you get to sleep with, (bECUZ ITLL LOOK SIKKK), and PLEASE!!!
Post a picture of the color of your tranny fluid.

DO IT

If you can afford 36" iroks and a 6.5" lift.. you can afford a 3-4" short arm lift and 33s with re-gearing to 4.56

33s on stock gears KILLED my trans after a year

I did 33s on stock gears for about 6 months and it sucked. 36s would be retarded.

I did 33's on stock gears for about 8 years. No mechanical problems or transmission damage, just lousy acceleration. I still think 36's would be a bad idea though.

Back