• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disc 8.8 swap, still don't feel comfy with my brakes

madmike283

NAXJA Forum User
I feel that my brakes are not as strong as they should be. I have an '01 with stock LP30 up front, Ford 8.8 in the rear with brand new disc brakes. I run 35" MTRs.

The brakes don't really bother me on-road. BUT when offroading I get uncomfortable, on steep declines especially or if I have to back off a steep obstacle. Yesterday I was standing on the brake pedal with nearly everything I had dropping off a ledge on a steep decline and it nearly wasn't enough to keep me from rolling through. Pretty much scared me.

Most of the info I see discussed around the forum is for older model trucks. What should I look at/think about doing for my '01? Rear brakes are brand new, fronts are whatever were on it when I got it but have good pad left. They're bled well. I put this in Mod Tech since it's not a stock truck... running 35s, 8.8, etc. Any advice?

Thanks for the heads up. I don't mind bleeding again to be sure. I won't upgrade the front unless absolutely necessary since I already have beefy steering, etc.

I had the same issue after doing my lift, extending the brake lines and new 33x12.50s. Solution was new pads and rotors up front, flushed my brake system with new fluid, and bled my brakes twice. I have the 8.25 out back and the shoes on those looked fine. After all that I can lock my 33 KM2s up on asphalt. Idk about your year of XJ, I have a '98, but there was a recall on the front rotors that I found out about and had my local dealership do. I just gave them a set of new pads to put on the front and asked if they would do it while they had the rotors off and they did for free.

When swapping the rear disc's did you install upgraded brake proportioning valve.

When swapping the rear disc's did you install upgraded brake proportioning valve.

I know several people who have got away without changing the prop. valve and they can lock up all the tires.

The WJ swap normally uses an 00-01 XJ hub which keeps the 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern.
In ascending order of cost, you can go:
Black magic pads & Centric rotors ($200)
WJ swap (~600) NOTE WJ swaps vary widely in cost, due to fab & junkyard conditions
Vanco Brakes ($750, $200 core charge)
Boostwerks big brake kit ($1350, IIRC)

They all have their ups and downs. Black magic pads will get you, from what I hear, fantastic braking performance. THey won't offer any more heat management (stock sized everything) for go-fast stuff or change your steering at all. I hear nothing but awesome about the braking perforamnce, though.

WJ swap involves the most work & parts gathering. At the end you get double piston brakes, new hubs, new ball joints, awesome performance from larger parts (less heat issues) and the option of going with full crossover steering and OTA track bar.

Vanco is a bolt-in affair giving you double piston brakes. Similar to the WJ swap in performance (awesome) but won't give you a 2nd steering arm to do a higher, flatter drag link like the WJ. Unlike the WJ, though, you don't need new hubs or ball joints and no welding is required.

Boostwerks / Bryson seems to be offering the best and most expensive bolt-on kit. A lugged caliper is more rigid and efficient at turning line pressure into tire squal. It looks like a 4 piston unit if I remember the unit correctly. Massive stopping power, yo. Of course you pay to play and you don't get any new steering options like the WJ swap, but if you are happy with your steering and money is no object... Bryson has the shiznit you need.

Back