• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New member first jeep. 3 vs 4.5 inch lift

cherokee1994

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. Starting out id like to say hello and my name is robert im new. I just got my license and what a better car than the xj. I just cant decide on the lift I need. Definetly either a 3'' or 4.5'' from rough country. I offroad on the weekends on trails, when it rains a go mudding and in the summer I go to the dunes 3 times. So what do you guys think. I dont want to replace the tranny so im keeping it small. So any suggestions....THANKS!!!!!:roll:

All i know is that i started at 3 inches for 31's as is tradition, but bumped it up to 4 and a little bit. I am able to flex more without rubbing and i think it looks a little better. just my opinion.

I did a Rough Country 3" lift and cut my fenders a bit... now I clear 33" tires no problem

but I plan to upgrade... longer shackle in the rear and a coil spacer up front to get just over 4.5" of lift, then I will build a custom long arm 3 link... (eventually I will add a proper 4.5" coil... something soft like Rusty's)

my advice o you would be a Bone Yard Lift...

it is easy to hit 3.5-5"

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1057829&highlight=bone

If I do go rough country id get the add a leaf to keep it cheap for now. I could always upgrade. Also Do I need an "arm"

at 3" you can get away without a control arm... you will need to shim the lower arm

however... it will limit it your down travel unless you clearance the lower control arm axle mount

at 4.5" I would not even consider running stock arms... that being said... many people have done it... but the results are always the same: They quickly upgrade to after market arms

The lift you linked to says it comes with new control arms so you are good there. You probably will want to add an adjustable track bar. I'm guessing you daily drive your jeep and since you just got your license I don't think you want to be driving with your axle off center.

Ideally you won't want to use the transfer case drop as that drops the lowest part in the middle of your jeep back down killing part of your gain with the lift. That said it would let you run bigger tires and you could always take it back out when you have the money for a SYE.

Did you check the condition of your current rear springs? When I got my 94 they were so warn out they were starting to bow up. Granted mine had 200k on it. If thats the case you may want to go with the 3 inch lift if money is limiting so you can get new springs. The 4.5 kit you are looking at comes with lift shackles so it is probably the 3 or 3.5 inch lift aal with 1 inch lift shackles so you could always add lift shackles later.

look up basterd pack springs for the rear and you may get out cheaper. I went with 3 inch iron rock springs in front and basterd rear blus 1 inch shackels, does great. I have agged 1.5in spacers up front and am liftin rear same to match up (looks better with my 34s but preforms better with 31s. Good shox are worth there weight in gold

Back