• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport Trouble Code P0740

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at a 2000 Cherokee, 4.0 engine 164,000 miles. Only real problem I see so far is when I put a scan tool on it I got a P0740 code Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction. Jeep seemed to drive and shift fine, did not get over 55 due to roads and no plate. Reset the code and went for another test drive, code came back. Any ideas as to possible cause? Most likely cause? Should I walk away from this jeep? Individual said he would accept $2,800.00 for it.

Thanks
Bill

Talk him down on the price. The P0740 is probably a bad TPS or NSS or maybe a bad trans solenoid. All are simple fixes.

0331 heads crack much less often than Interwebz postings would have everyone believe.

IMHO most 0331 heads crack due cooling system neglect and abuse caused by a lack of routine maintenance.

I would buy another 2000-01 Cherokee in a short minute.

00-01 are not my favorite years because of the 0331 head. Will all 0331 heads crack? Absolutely not. Neglect/abuse increases the odds that the 0331 head will crack, and an overheat will almost GUARANTEE it, but any 0331 head is at risk of cracking, even ones that have been well maintained. I've personally worked on a few of them.

Here is a link to a thread that you should read if you are looking at an 00-01. It gets into this in depth from those that have been there.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391831

I'm not by any means trying to talk someone out of buying an 00-01 However, knowledge is power and you need to educate yourself as much as you can about the 0331, as it is the weak link on the 00-01 4.0 XJ engine. And if the head does crack and it is not discovered quickly, the coolant mixing with the oil will destroy the bearings in the engine.

If you do own an 00-01, you should be uber-religious about keeping ALL components of the cooling system in top notch condition, and you should also be checking the coolant level in the coolant reservoir frequently, as the #1 symptom of a cracked 0331 head is "unexplained coolant loss".

Last edited:
i got my 00 with 164k on it for 1500 (with a cracked head and seized engine) no troubles since putting a new one in :wierd: even came with an extra cracked 0331 in the back seat!!

P0121 and P0123 Possible causes
- Faulty throttle position sensor
- Throttle position sensor harness is open or shorted
- Throttle position sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

Looking at a 2000 Cherokee, 4.0 engine 164,000 miles. Only real problem I see so far is when I put a scan tool on it I got a P0740 code Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction. Jeep seemed to drive and shift fine, did not get over 55 due to roads and no plate. Reset the code and went for another test drive, code came back. Any ideas as to possible cause? Most likely cause? Should I walk away from this jeep? Individual said he would accept $2,800.00 for it.

Thanks
Bill

I can feel my TTC engage at about 42mph. You should be able to feel it or see a drop in RPM's. If it's the TTC solenoid (should read between 11-15 ohms) you can test the resistance through the connections in the engine bay or at the TCU and/or drop the pan and measure the resistance of all three solenoids directly. They're a little pricy, though.

But, as Tim suggested it also may be other issues.

Back