• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant leaking from rear main area!

shatahoe

NAXJA Forum User
I am new to this forum but have cruised through a number of times, and would really appreciate any advice or info.
I have a 2001 Cherokee 4.0 (151,xxx) and it has recently developed a pretty good leak that is coming from the rear main seal area. I am 99.9% sure it is coolant, the rear main was leaking oil a bit before but this is different and appears to be coolant.
The splash shield below the front of the engine seems to soaked but no real puddles or drips after shutting off the engine. Coolant has been slowly dropping in the reservoir over the last few months. The oil pan seems to be "wet" along the block and the area where the starter is mounted has a pretty good sheen to it too.
I can't see any wetness coming from behind the head and running down the back of the block. I know there is a freeze plug back there that can potentially leak, and from what i have read, one on the block behind the bell housing. Praying that is not the case. It has a new radiator and thermostat and has never over heated.
My question is really is there a good chance it is the water pump and the coolant is making its way to the back of the block? I can't seem to find many forum entries about this issue.
Thinking if it is the freeze plugs and costs $$$$ I may just replace the motor with a remaned motor.
Any advice on places or things to look for in going this route?
Thanks in advanced!

Fluid can travel in mysterious ways, especially while you're driving. I'd clean all the crud off your block so you have a nice clean surface to track your leak on. Coolant can leak onto that mix of oil and road grime and go pretty much anywhere without you being able to follow it. I know it's kind of a PITA to get all the crud off there, but I think it may help you find your leak. Get it nice and clean, and then bring your engine up to operating temperature and watch for leaks.

There's a freeze plug in the back, probably that one. The engine I put into my beater had a brand new plug there...

Considering your location and the winter we've had I'd have to X2. Unless you can find a leak from or around the heater core area there not much else back there

...but true that you could have a leak somewhere and it's migrating to the back of the engine.

2 freeze plugs back there. One is on the back of the head, the other on the back of the block. Just pulled the motor out of my 87 because of a leaking block freeze plug.

Yeah I am figuring it is the rear freeze plug but praying it is just the water pump. Going to have a shop do a check tomorrow and hopefully find the cause. there are no apparent leaks from the heater core area or hoses. It just doesn't seem like a common 4.0 problem at least from what I have been researching. Most 4.0 have a list of issues that most people can relate with!
Yeah the winter was quite brutal.

If the motor needs to be pulled I am thinking about replacing it with a Jasper. Seems like from what I've read on forums and looking over their website they may be the way to go.
Anyone have any other suggestions or thoughts on Jasper remaned motors?
Thanks all!

I kinda figured but the motor has 155,xxx on her and have been having the dreaded oil pressure issue and now this so im thinking replace the motor and have a new jeep, minus the tranny etc.. and run it for a bit longer.

Might be time then. I pulled the motor on the 87 and found some PO bonehead had run straight water in it. Someone had replaced the freeze plugs on the side and siliconed the crap out of them and the rear plug was rusted through badly. Block full of rust. When I was prepping the holes to replace the plugs, I found 4 cracks in the block. Now I'm building one out of two cores.

I'd say it's the rear freeze plug on the head, but if the oil pressure has dropped and looks milky/juicy, maybe some unmixed coolant is making it straight out the rear main. I swear if I had an 00 and 01 XJ, I would go ahead and spend the $500 on the new head, gasket, and fluids and not have the "when" question in the back of my mind. Especially if any of you keep track of your psi and notice even the slightest drop, don't wait, cause then you're talking oil pump, bearings, wear, etc. . .

That is the thing there is no sign of oil contamination, dipstick or fill cap. The pressure drops to about 20 psi idling after warm, and 40-50 at speed.
This F*!$in sucks big time. I have taken such god care of her and love/hate her to death! It has never had just water in the cooling system so a leaking freeze plug puzzles me but I guess it can still happen.

I know it hasn't reached the critical lower than 13 psi yet, but up until about a couple of months ago it would hold at 40 at idle warm. Just makes me wonder.
It is definitely not coming from the freeze plug on the back of the head, just got a mirror back there and looked good as new! so do all the other ones i can see on the drivers side of the block.

20psi is good @ idle, but a 20psi drop is not a good sign. Winter-Spring differences in ambient can account for some of that drop. . . You've been using the same oil and filters? I suggest pulling the valve cover off and look for the infamous crack on driver's side between cylinders 3&4.

Last edited:
Back