• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

currie or ironman 4x4 tie rod?

wildcat-xj

NAXJA Forum User
i want to upgrade my steering. i know these are two different setups, but for 5 times less money will the ironman upgrade beef up my steering? i realize the currie is the entire system. i don't do hardcore wheelin. theres no rocks around here. just want to make it stronger.

pros and cons of each?

or should i just get rusty's steering upgrade? :D

thanks

What are your specs? Lift wise?

If your under 4.5" you don't really need a full upgrade. For lite wheeling I think that a strong tie-rod will be fine.

Non personal experience (take it however you wish):
I hear the currie system is good and you don't need to change the trackbar angle. I hear a lot of negatives about the Rustys system.

Personal Experience:
When I upgraded my steering I bought the Ballistic Fab 7/8 kit, track bar brackets, two extra heims, built my own steering and had enough DOM left after steering to build my track bar.

For less then $500 bucks I had a much stronger and custom set-up.

If your tie rod ends are in good shape then a beefer tie rod will work just fine. I have a posion spider customs tie rod end, (pretty much the same thing) on 6.5 inches of lift and it still handles good and has tight steering but I also replaced all the ends. I have heard great things about the currie but I just wouldn't want to spend that much on that kit. My tie rods are maxed out so I will be going the heim set up in the future.

So I would recomend you get the iron man and and replace your tie rod ends if they need it. it will cost less and will still steer great.

I have the IRO tie rod with 31's and have never had an issue with it. It's a solid bar and will definitely make something else in the steering the weak spot. It's been on there for almost a year and I only do mild trails, no rocks.

Back