• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stalling when making left turn?

jackate

NAXJA Forum User
1999 - 4.0 - 180,000 miles.

XJ is stalling when making left turns when low on gas?

The strange thing is that it only just started doing this, it usually does it right before the low fuel light comes on. Been driving it for 12 years so I know something is wrong.

It always starts right back up, so it's not out of gas.

The fuel meter seems to working proper, I drove hundreds of times before with only 1/8 tank and had no stalling, I actually would go like 15 to 20 miles in the past before getting gas no problem.

This problem is likely to be found "inside" the gas tank, where the fuel pump assembly resides. When it gets down to a certain level, there is some inconsistency with pickup of fuel.

How old is your fuel pump assembly? I think you may be heading towards a replacement.

If you do replace, don't buy an Airtex. Bosch makes excellent fuel pumps.

This problem is likely to be found "inside" the gas tank, where the fuel pump assembly resides. When it gets down to a certain level, there is some inconsistency with pickup of fuel.

How old is your fuel pump assembly? I think you may be heading towards a replacement.

If you do replace, don't buy an Airtex. Bosch makes excellent fuel pumps.

Everything is original except the Radiator, AC Evaporator unit, water pump, various sensors and tune up stuff like wires, plugs, rotor and cap.

One other thing happened last week, I went to get gas and it did not want to take it, It keep kicking off the fuel pump, It probable is unrelated since I had no problem getting gas last time.

Everything is original except the Radiator, AC Evaporator unit, water pump, various sensors and tune up stuff like wires, plugs, rotor and cap.

One other thing happened last week, I went to get gas and it did not want to take it, It keep kicking off the fuel pump, It probable is unrelated since I had no problem getting gas last time.

Failure to take fuel is usually a "venting" problem, most likely unrelated.

With 180k and the symptoms you describe, if this were my vehicle, down with the gas tank, out with that original assembly, and install a new Bosch fuel pump assembly. The one you have in there isn't long for the world, regardless. And with that filter working for 180k, it isn't likely in too good of shape!

Failure to take fuel is usually a "venting" problem, most likely unrelated.

With 180k and the symptoms you describe, if this were my vehicle, down with the gas tank, out with that original assembly, and install a new Bosch fuel pump assembly. The one you have in there isn't long for the world, regardless. And with that filter working for 180k, it isn't likely in too good of shape!

Maybe I should just change the filters, maybe the fuel pump assembly will be good for another 100,000 miles.

Last edited:
Back