• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knocking on heavens door

lucky14

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

Experienced Jeeper here and new to this forum. Added an XJ to my family recently. I have a 97 turbocharged TJ on 4 1/2 in of lift, 33's plenty of mods, 08 XK on 31s some light mods. I am a professional automotive technician and have plenty of wrench time under my belt (just to give you a back ground and perspective from where I am coming from.)

But to the meat of the post…. the new addition is a 1998 XJ Sport, 4.0 with AW4 Np242, on 7" of lift, 35" MT Baja MTZ’s tires with a D44 swap, HP D30 and plenty of other mods. Due to a "blown engine" with 189K. The previous owner put rod and main bearings in it and still had the "knock". With that being said he was convinced that the engine was toast… so I got it on a steal.

I decided to make a new post after much searching. I made this decision due in part to some of the weirdness pertaining to the knock. I would love some XJ experienced knock guys/gals to lend a hand.

I've been around enough to have had a number of 4.0 and 258 engines and know how tough they are. I also know of the CHRONIC FP bolt problem. It had a bad knock from the front and bellhousing area. So I picked it up on the cheap. The knock was present on start up and the knock was consistent.

So here is the run down. I got the XJ in my shop today after work. Changed the water pump.. it was toast and knocking around, threw a new fan clutch on too. The knocking was diminished. After replacing the W.pump only a knock from the rear engine was present.

I did a cylinder balance test. The knock did not diminish or change when "killing" a cylinder. So it’s a pretty safe assumption that the noise is not a wrist pin, bent rod, piston slap/skirt noise. If it was the suspect/problem cylinder the noise would change pitch.

Oil Pressure always remains good at idle 40 psi+ unless it been idling for over an extended period of time and hots then its 35-30 psi (still within normal range).

So I checked the FP bolts with the help of another tech. I got about 1/8 and maybe 1/4 of a turn on two of the 6 bolts. The other 4 were tight. The noise was still present.

So we spun it over after marking the FP for a starting point. On one or two of the bolts after cleaning with brake clean, it looked like hair line cracks radiating from the Torque converter bolts. However, to my dismay there weren't any obvious cracks from the crankshaft bolts on the FP.

So I put leak tracing powder on the FP. (Think of baby powder in a can used to trace fluid leaks). It comes out fluid like and dries in a powder form.

After changing the oil refilled with 10w-40 and BG MOA additive. I let it idle for an about 20 minutes. During this time I used a stethoscope to poke around and listen.

The knocking was not coming from the block near the cylinders (although it resonated within the block). The sounds weren’t coming from any accessories as I started it without a belt on it when I was doing the water pump.

The damper is not wobbling and the noise wasn't evident in the timing chain area. The noise got louder the further back you traveled along the oil pan.
The noise resonated within the oil pan, but was NOT coming from within the oil pan.

The noise sounded louder when the probe was removed from the scope the tubing placed within the bell housing as it was running. When probing the transmission bell with the probe on the stethoscope it was loudest on the Transmission bellhousing and case versus anywhere on the engine.

The loudest spot was on the driver's side upper left of the bell near the CKS (crank sensor) it this area the knock was loudest and also accompanied by a ticking sound. The ticking accompining the knock is only hear with the stethoscope.

I shut the engine off and re-inspected the FP with the powder. (Think magnafluxing of a head) The powered should be blown off and leave the cracks more visible. I didn't see anything other than what little I had noticed before.

I have put about 30 miles on the XJ. The noise is rather constant and varies with speed. The noise doesn't change with engine load or if it’s in neutral or reverse.

I have also checked the CKS sensor, the torque of the bell housing bolts to block. I also checked to see if there was any slop in the FP as I rotated the engine with the FP as compared to the crank damper. All appears ok. The damper moves as soon as the flexplate is turned by the teeth.

I am confident the noise is within the bell housing. However, I know I need to drop the transmission to inspect the back of the block, check the FP, and the front pump/torque converter itself. I am a little dispointed that there really isn’t anything pointing toward “hey that’s it”.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with this knock with the absence of cracks or engine problems?

I am confident that it is the bell/trans area. But I certainly don’t have that “ah-ha” moment where there is some concrete evidence of what is wrong. Has anyone been surprised to find a large fracture when dropping the trans after everything looked “OK”?

I was expecting some flange separation, large cracks or something oblivious with as bad as the knock is.

I suppose it could be a torque converter or front pump. Just looking for some experiences for anyone else who couldn’t see any cracks or have any separation or slop in the FP. Thanks!

Never had a AW4 out of a XJ... so forgive my ingnorance.. usually there is the flange of the crank which contains the piolt bushing/bearing, the flex plate, then the torque converter....

I have never seen a "spacer"- which doesn't mean it doesn't exist... I just haven't seen it. Unless there is a large thrust type washer.

Could you clarify what you were suggesting?

there is a 3/16ths plate that goes between the engine and trans. I think the middle bellhousing bolts go into it that plate can hit the crank or flexplate. Its easy to see if you look where your starter mounts.

Oh I see you are talking about the dust/water shield that closes the remaing area of the bellhousing that is not covered by the inspection cover.

RMS and gasket was done when the guy did the mains and rod bearings... although I am not adverse to poking around in the pan and lower end. If I pull the trans and find nothing wrong thats when I will resort to doing that.

Dust/water sheild is in place.. it isn't contacting the back of the FP.

There isn't any lateral slop in the crank. (bad thrust bearing).

Last edited:
I just removed the torque converter bolts and pushed the converter as far back as possible the noise is still there... but it changed pitch.. I am going to try and push the converter back again and try once more.

Ok I removed the starter... inspected the flexplate ring gear with more sight.. the ring/teeth are intact the welds look ok.

I still don't see any cracks... it was hard to tell 100% for sure but there doesn't seem to be any interference between the dust shield and the FP.

Ok so just for a wild stab in the dark. I pulled the rocker/valve cover to see if by chance there was a broken pivot, loose arm, broken spring (even though I don't have any driveabilty issues).

There isn't an once of sludge on the rockers, the valve train is clean on only lightly tarnished for something with 189K it looks great. The feed holes on the pushrods are clear. The was oil still in the rockers from a few hours ago when I ran it with the TC pushed off the FP.

There weren't any loose rockers or broken pivots. I know there are piston skirt issues on these engines. But I swear this noise is from within the bell housing. I suppose the next venture is going to be to drop the transmission and inspect the FP and TC with it out.

Is there a certain year range more known for piston skirt cracking issues?

The bell housing will act as an echo chamber and will amplify any sounds anywhere in the engine. I was trying to track down a sound which I though was crank walk related, much like your sound. Replaced the flex plate, transmission, and had the crank checked over. Right now I think it is the cam moving in and out of the block as the stock retention mechanism is a bit silly.

wow that was a kick in the neather regions. I have had thoughts of a camshaft walk.. but still are pulling for it being a FP.

BTW I used to live in Richmond,VA

Did you ever resolve your issue? I once had a nasty little knocking sound that i thought was a bearing but turned out to be that shield on the bottom side on the tranny being loose. It really amplified through the bellhousing. It really wasnt that loose either. I had changed the starter one day and left out a bolt IIRC. Results?

I just removed the torque converter bolts and pushed the converter as far back as possible the noise is still there... but it changed pitch.. I am going to try and push the converter back again and try once more.

If you disco'd the torque converter and started the engine and then still had the knock, it isn't the transmission. Can't hear what you here through the internet but are you sure you don't have a cracked exhaust manifold?

Any cracks in the FP even small ones are unacceptable. Mine had only "hairline cracks" like your describing, very hard to even see with the trans on but..... My God it sounded like the engine was going to completely blow up any second! This is what mine looked like
DSC08388.jpg

and this is what a really bad one looks like
flexplate001.jpg

flexplate002.jpg

flexplate003.jpg

In both cases a new flexplate solved the problem. Be careful with the crank sensor they can be easily damaged during R&R. Replacing it while you have the trans off is really good idea too if you have a lot of miles on your jeep.

Last edited:
I hadn't been working on the XJ for a while.. long story but quick version.. we rolled our turbocharged TJ... we are ok.. we wheeled a few more times since then.. but blown out the steering box and some other stuff.

So the big push now in the last few weeks is to get the XJ up and running.

I just dropped the trans. tonight. No major cracks in the FP... but it might be like the first photo with minor cracks. Remember that I am sure the noise is within the bell.

I will drop the FP tomorrow... my daughter is sleeping so no more air tools tonight. I am taking the AW4 and the NP242 to work for the Tom Woods SYE.

I have
a brand new Omix Aida FP for the XJ... anyone have experence with using Omix FP's? I have used some of their parts in the past and they are pretty decent.

The torque converter/front pump felt like it had a little more slop than what I am used to.... not scary but enough to say.. hmmm.

With a 198K on the clock I was thinking about rebuilding the Aw4 anyhow.... but I am on a time crunch. Wrenching party is at my place this Friday night. So I need the trans by end of Thursday.

Thoughts on Aw4 life span/abuse/sucess.... the fluid was black but she shifted fine at all speeds the handfull of times I drove her.

Ill drop the FP and reprot back in tomorrow.

With a 198K on the clock I was thinking about rebuilding the Aw4 anyhow.... but I am on a time crunch. Wrenching party is at my place this Friday night. So I need the trans by end of Thursday.

Thoughts on Aw4 life span/abuse/sucess.... the fluid was black but she shifted fine at all speeds the handfull of times I drove her.

For now I wouldn't bother rebuilding the trans - if it's shifting fine, just do a fluid change (refill with dexron) and drive on. These are tough boxes that seem to take a lot of killing. Mine's got 243K on it and I've never done a thing but change the fluid.

I pulled the flexplate today. There are no gross cracks however, there are some radial cracks- very very fine around teh circumfernance of the crank bolt pattern.

There are also some light (heavier than fine) crack radiating from the torque converter bolts towards the ring gear.

I will post pictures up when I get some more time- folks are here to help put the trans back in (wrenching party)

Too bad I rebuilt the AW4 anyhow- S1 S2 soleinoids were out of spec resitance wise, the pan had lots of friction and some metal swarth in it.

I sent the trans to be dyno tested before I put it back in... haven't gotten it back yet... might not in time for the wrenching party.

So we will either pull the trans out of teh turbocharged TJ for a clutch upgrade and rear main and some yella terra rockers to boot.. or drink and play Ps3 and Xbox360 alnight..
or just beer.

I will post pictures soon.

Back