• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How long will an engine mount hold with only 2 bolts?

Chainer

NAXJA Forum User
My Passenger side motor mount sheared off the block, I was able to get 2 bolts out, but not the 3rd. I got it all put pack together with new grade 8 bolts on both sides.

I deliver pizza, so I need my jeep for work.

I'm just wondering if I should be worried about imminent failure, or if it should hold fine for at least a few weeks until I can afford to buy brown Dog brackets for it.

until it breaks..no on a serious note,depends what side it is on.one side of the engine torques alot more than the other.more strain on drivers side i think..

stop-and-go stresses motor mounts really hard. When I was in my teens I had a job delivering newspaper bundles to rural carriers and grocery stores. I broke mounts all the freaking time from the stop-and-go driving.

yes you are right..torque is on passenger side.i had the same problem and i ended up breaking the block trying to get the last bolt out..be carefull with the easy outs..whatever you do ,don't weld it.it causes more problems in the long run!!!

There is a reason those bolts aren't grade 8 from the factory, it's likely they vibrated loose and sheared off because of that. Would you rather have the bolts break off or tear the threaded holes off the side of the block? I would put grade 5 bolts back in there and make sure they are nice and tight. Grade 8 bolts are rated on tensile strength (pulling) not shear strength (breaking off from being pulled to the side).

This happened to me while driving on a curvy country road. Ended up bring an engine hoise and lifting the engine on the spot and replace the bolts. I did use grade 8 bolts, but Grimms logic is true. Maybe you should think about brown dog mounts now? I wish I had a set.

been there! done this!

Fix the problem. Delaying will create more head aches.

I broke the motor mount bolts more times than i'd like to admit.
(heavy stop and go with ax-15 and wasnt aware garage didnt fix properly)

Upon first break, one of the bolt holes became "rounded" out. no longer useable.

2 bolts 1 bolt welded into place.. (horrible garage!)
2 bolts only.. didnt last very long.
Broke the bolts a few more times.

Average frequency of breaks was about ~1 year.

Finally found M.O.R.E. (~$200) motor mounts.
MORE motor mounts spreads the torque over more bolt points than original. (guessing 3 vs 5,6) Never had a problem since. Been 5 years and happy.

Back