• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a/c vacume problem??

blue83

NAXJA Forum User
when i idle the a/c works great.but when i drive down the road it constantly switches back and forth from dash to floor vents.i can't take another summer of this crap.
please help me figure this out..:smsoap:

You are losing vacuum to the HVACcontrols. There is a reservoir to store vacuum in the front bumper on the passenger side. Carefully inspect the vac tubes from the passenger side firewall down to the res. You will most likely find your problem there.

thanx for the starting point.i don't know jack bout the vacume area.i was actually looking at it yesterday.will inspect it today after work and post again what i find...

once you've found the vacuum canister behind the passenger-side of the front bumper, follow the two (three if you've got cruise control) vacuum lines back into the engine compartment and verify no cracks/breaks from start to finish.

The usual problem is directly under the battery (where it is impossible to see w/out battery removal....)

You are losing vacuum to the HVACcontrols. There is a reservoir to store vacuum in the front bumper on the passenger side. Carefully inspect the vac tubes from the passenger side firewall down to the res. You will most likely find your problem there.

I just took off front bumper today and I was wondering what that vacum hose was for. When I recently purchased my 92 Jeep I couldn't switch from Windshield to Head or Legs. I assumed it was broken Climate Control so purchased a used one from a junkyard. I guess I will have to go back and grab that vacuum canister.
Thanks for the great info.

was jacking round at work and broke vacuum line on cruise control ..what a dumb azZ.also found out the expensive way that i got a blowed hose on the high side from the compressor to the condensor..$70.00 wasted..could that be one of my problems with the vacuum or are the two not even related..also that battery acid comment makes alot of sense cuz i just fixed a major acid leak .it had eaten away alot of protective cover on some of the wiring..going to check that out today....anybody know were to buy factory vacuum lines??those little bastards are so brittle..

Not related. Just take samples of the line to the parts store and get replacement line. I always relocate the "football" to the passenger side firewall and eliminate all the vac line running to the front.

Back