• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing BW flat fender flares - trimming question

tokarev

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of installing Bushwacker flat fender flares on my 2001 XJ Sport. This is my first Cherokee mod, so go easy one me.
I've got a fender trimming question... The directions only show folding the tabs back 90 degrees, but it seems like I should fold them all the way back flat against the inside of the quarter panel, so they're not visible / in the way. What do you guys think? Will it hurt anything to fold them all the way back?

Here is a picture of where I'm at so far. (I tried covering any exposed metal with white caulk)

1302203205.jpg

Nevermind. I realized I AM supposed to hammer them all the way back.

I would delete this thread if I knew how....

The caulking is a good idea between the fender well and the hammered down tabs to prevent moisture from getting trapped under the folds. For general rust protection however, I'd just rattle can it. Maybe some primer on any bare metal and then whatever color you feel is appropriate. Aside from it being nearly impossible to get the caulk looking nice and smooth, I think it may start peeling on you after awhile. Probably a little late now as it looks like you've pretty much got everything covered in it, but still thought I'd throw that out there.

Oh, and welcome to NAXJA and good luck with the future mods!

I actually welded the tabs back together from the bend to 1" in, then trimmed off the rest. Goal was to add some rigidity back to the fender opening that is lost due to trimming the stamped lip off, plus trimming left a great place to tuck the inner liner into. I didn't beat the inner seam flat on mine.

On the rears, I welded the notches back together after folding them to keep out any moisture, then painted them up. FWIW, on the rears, don't trim the curved part as shown on Step 82 of the instuctions. Just notch it and fold it in too. If you cut it out, you run the risk of opening up the inner fender.....ask me how I know. I caught it and fixed it with the welder, but save yourself the time/work.

Also, the plastic screw anchors for the lower rear flare brackets are junk, they won't hold the brackets tight to the body. I replaced these with Greenlee plastic anchors/screws.

1962425101p

Simple, easy solution that works.

Last edited:
Gotta say I love the plastic anchor idea....i used some bolts....machine screws rather and I cant stop worrying about the dissimilar metals causing early onset cancer and these anchors are a perfect workaround though they will NOT hold as well as a good ol' nut and bolt I think the anchirs are better in the long run

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Back