• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE AND U JOINT SIZE

bayhunter

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 XJ , AW4 AUTO W/ 231 J trans case. I picked up a front d/s from A 98 xj in great condition. I ordered my SYE from AA and he said the only problem i could have runnin the front shaft is if my 99 has 1350 u joints vs 1310. How do i measure them while still on rig. IS it more likely to have the 1310 or 1350?Was gonna replace rear pinion bearing while do in SYE ,woud i have to go w 2.75 yoke? or keep 3" common on 97-01 w chry 8.25 rear?

The front D30 should definitely be 1310 on both the axle and XJ 231.

Edit: If you go to Rockauto.com you can get the u-joint measurements that the stock XJ comes with.

never heard of the different yoke on the later 8.25s??? Replacing the pinion bearing on the 8.25 is not easy....are you sure it needs to be replaced??? Might be better off getting another 8.25 from the bone yard....or another axle that doesn't like to have a leaky pinion!!

I ditched my 8.25 for two reasons 1) the shovel of a rear lip on the pumpkin and 2) the pinion seal leaked and leaked....like they all do. IIRC, 8.25s use a crush sleeve so just replacing the seal is kinda sketchy. I think it has been done but it is not recommended to remove that nut and not use a new crush sleeve.

Back