• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wipers won't turn off, smoke coming out

truckeejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Yep thats the story. 91xj 4.0 sport 5sp. burning electrical smell. Parked it immediately, wanna save what I can. Wipers won't stop, smoke coming from under dash by steering column, def. electrical wisps and smell. Could this be a dead wiper motor or something else? Fuse/resistor/switch? Thx always been seaching only see a couple things so far.. thx

- TJ

switch is in the column and it's wiring runs through the column and along the knee panel on the left side of the column.

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY (if you haven't already done that) and start looking for burned and/or shorted wires in those areas

Question: its parked on a street. I can get it to a buddy's garage about a mile away, am I going to do much damage driving it that mile? It starts smokin as soon as I turn it on, not good. Hate workin on the sidewalk though.

Just dive under the dash and pull the plug.. should be easy to get to. And pull the fuses to everything on the stick

Yank the 5.5amp metal circuit breaker on the lower left side of the fuse panel(location 20 below the circle turn signal flasher).

That metal rectangle breaker on the lower left side of the interior fuse panel is for the wipers.

thx. pulled turn signal and hazard fuses. pulled the metal CB at bottom of fusebox must be for wipers since now they are off and no burning smell. It is a 4.8amp 12v. there is corrosion on one of the two tabs, also on the bracket. should I replace both? Could this be the only prob or does this indicate a short/prob somewhere else in the wiring? should I unplug anything else, I am assuming its ok to drive at this time. thx for the help not too knowlegeable about electric yet..

try feeling behind the fuse panel and maybe pull off the kickpanel, door sill, and pull back the carpet. Usually corrosion on the fuse panel on manual jeeps is due to brake fluid.

i will look again but don't think thats a prob. corrosion is on the CB tab and slot, nowhere else. no carpets in my heep. I think I'll replace those and see whats up. thx for the info..

Problem solved. Replaced the 4.8A circuit breaker, ($26!?) but the real problem was my "wiper module" was melting. Its the black box velcroed right under the dash under the steering wheel, duh. easy to replace got one from a junkyard wreck, all good now.

Back