• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Cherokee with a damaged engine. Rebuild or Replace?

ptf18

NAXJA Forum User
My 88 Cherokee has a damaged engine. I wont go into details but I suspect that it has a #1 cylinder broken rod as there is a hole in the engine pan in that area. I've got the Jeep in "storage" and need to decide what I should do. I dont "need" the vehicle but do need to do something with it.

I could pull the engine and open it up and overhaul it. But I dont really have the time to fool with it.

I could pull the engine and install a rebuilt unit but it'll cost a couple grand to do so AND I really dont have the time to fool with it.

I could have someone else do either of the 2 above ideas done BUT that cost maybe another 1K to do.

Or ...as my wife says...scrap it.

Ive had the Cherokee since new so I know the vehicle and I used it as a DD. It ran great, never had issues with it that I could nt figgure out and they were VERY few of them.

So...How about some input? I really hate to let it go but.....

Thanks, Lester

Re: 88 Cherokee with a damamged engine. Rebuild or Replace?

OK...so you don't have time to rebuild...don't have time to replace. Mmm, seems like you're out of options. Part it out then.

Back