• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

factory cd display blacking out

whatever

NAXJA Forum User
Its a on a 97...

My factory cd player display has recently started to black out after I have been driving for about 15 minutes or so. Its like it has an overheating problem because after it does this, I can leave the jeep sit for about 30 mins and the display will work again. Drive it again for about 15 mins again and it blacks out again. Is this a common problem with these units, Ive never read about it so I'm seeing if this happens to others or anyone had firsthand experience.

Also I suppose I'm gonna tear into it eventually to see if I can fix it or at least see if I see anything out of the ordinary. But does anyone have schematics of whats inside the radio they could PM(if these even exist)me so have at least some idea what I'm getting into.

Thanks..Josh

throw that POS in the garbage before it starts a fire
besides, it's 2011 and even the cheapest stereos have USB Ipod hookup, HD stereo, remote, etc.
I got a Clarion with the above for under $130 from crutchfield.com when my OEM cd player died.

If you want to know if it's a heat problem and there is enough slack in the harness you could run with it pulled out of the dash for some extra cooling but I would suspect the display itself (if the problem is blacking out but still playing normally.) Bad solder joint on the bias voltage or backlight pins. I can't remember if that one uses LCD or VFD display.

It's honestly not worth taking apart to spend time tracking down an intermittent electrical fault which may turn out to be the non-repairable display module itself. You can probably get a swap at a JY for almost nothing if you really want the stock one, or like SBXJ says go get a modern replacement. I doubt you are looking at a fire risk though.

I'll probably just hit a junk yard and find another. I really am not a fan of all the fancy bells and whistles kind of stuff when it comes to interior, i want stuff to look factory as possible inside. An if I do have to add something inside I want it to look like it belongs there. So I'll take a look at the aftermarket stuff but probably pass and just try to find another oem cd player.

Thanks for the replys.:thumbup:

I'd like to add
I was like you and wanted to keep the factory look and sound. It was nice in it's day but as the led lights slowly burned out one by one and the cd player skipping became increasingly harder to ignore I bit the bullet....especially when I saw what ebay wanted for used factory players...yikes!!
best of luck

Back